Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Opinion on bumper lower skins

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road
Default Opinion on bumper lower skins

I've been piecing my 95 Jimmy 4x4 for the past month since buying it. I've replaced most of the front clip. I'm still missing my grill (anyone have one?) Anyway. It was hit on the passenger side. The bumper was trashed as well as the lower bumper skin. I replaced the actual metal bumper and was able to save the original bumper skin. But the lower skin (air dam?) is mia. And honestly I'm debating on whether or not to even replace it. I have the air dam that mounts just inside the skin on the frame itself. My only concern is picking up some debris (which is plentiful here in houston) and damaging my oil coolant lines or puncturing the oil filter, which is right there behind the bumper and fully exposed without the air dam.

Personally I think it has a distinct look without the air dam but wondered what y'all think. I'm leaning on NOT replacing it. Or if I do, not anytime soon. Either way I want to install fog lights as it didn't have any originally (or if it did they were kissed in the crash but I can't find the mounts or where the wiring is).

Old 04-10-2009, 04:41 PM

OK So it's called a valance. Anyway. I was also thinking. Since getting the grill on it looks fairly sharp. I'm partial now more than ever not to put the valance on. But I'm thinking of a skid plate or similar up under to protect the underside. I was thinking something similar to what you see under a Toyota. Anywhere to pick these up for our trucks?

Old 04-10-2009, 06:01 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe what you are calling a valance is also known as an air deflector. You can hunt junk yards or lmctruck.com on this page. For the skid plate, they have these available.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 PM

yeah we have a pick a part place here in houston I got most of my front clip from. I can get the valance/deflector no problem. Just don't know if I WANT to. I'm keeping my eyes out for a skid plate either way. I'm not crazy about that air filter right there in the front, exposed even with the deflector.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member
blazernewb is on a distinguished road

at LMC they say they have the skid plate but for the zr2 will it fir a 97 blazer ls..im also thinking about removing my valance but i dont want my oil filter and wires exposed. does anyone know how to remove the valance i see the 2 bolts on both sides but cant reach the head that is on top any suggestions

Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

easiest way to get your valance off is to rake it over a parking divider or sidewalk... that what everyone else does....

as for bumper skins (the slip over the bumper style) they are crap unless you plan to lower your ride

as for the valance, i have never had one (had the skin until i sold it) and i like the look of it off. your skid plate (whether from a LS, LT or Zr2, will not cover the oil filter mount and you will "see" the inner workings. i extended my skid plate by building a new one, but it would be as easy as mounting so garage door trim to the bottom of your bumper to cover up the naughty bits.

as for your question above: come at it from underneath and behind, or take the whole bumper off (remove grille then pull 6 bolts)