Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting/Detailing Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Painting/Detailing Rear Differential

Since I lifted my 95 the rear diff is visible and looking kinda shabby. The rear diff cover is rusted big time and starting to weep gear oil. I didn't want to put a chrome cover on it or fork out the dough for one of the trussed aluminum covers, so I just went to the dealer and bought a new cover and gasket(the new cover is bare steel) I also noticed that the rear end is weeping gear oil around the axle tubes at the diff housing. My plans are to just clean the entire axle with purple stuff and paint the entire rear end with semiflat black primer. Just to add a little contrast, I want to paint the diff cover a gun metal gray color and paint the diff cover bolts semiflat black like the rest of the housing. My question is how well is the semiflat primer going to adhere to the cast diff housing which has that nice rust color to it now? I don't really want to pay someone to sandblast the housing. I'm trying to make it look as nice as possible without forking out a bunch of money as I will be wheeling this offroad from time to time. I don't want it to go back to looking like junk either(rust) Any recommendations?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Painting/Detailing Rear Differential

How about sandpaper and that brake caliper spray paint people always use?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

High temp paint really is not necessary. I would use something like the Chassis Black you can get from Eastwoods. Covers nice on rough metal.

I would definitely recommend a wire brush or better yet, a wire wheel on a 4" grinder to clean things first.

Check out my Rear Axle Service article in the Tech Article (DIY) section for the cover and diff cleaning portion.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Check out my Rear Axle Service article in the Tech Article (DIY) section for the cover and diff cleaning portion.
Thanks. I'll be checking this out.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member
jzap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primer not durable.

The problem with your plan to paint the diff with primer is that primer is not durable. It will allow moisture to soak through and the rust will come through from under the primer.

The process I have had pretty good luck with is:

1. wire brush the loose rust off. Get down to a good surface
2. wash it down and let it dry
3. use a good heavy duty rust resistant primer. The oil based rustoleum primers are good for suspension parts, but don't use them for body work, because they will bleed through some automotive paints
4. paint with an enamel paint. enamels are durable enough for suspension parts, even if you off-road. There are flat enamels available if you want the flat look. Rattle can enamels are convenient for a quick, easy to respray after a summer of running trails.

Durable paint doesn't have to be expensive. We once did a gas tank that was visible under a back bumper by spraying it first with black, then taping an old lace curtain that we found in the trash over it and spraying it red. Came out looking like black lace. We used cheap rattle can paint, and it lasted four years, looking pretty good from ten feet away.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I find it much easier just to keep everything covered in mud. Also helps to keep the many scratches cover up, too!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
I find it much easier just to keep everything covered in mud. Also helps to keep the many scratches cover up, too!
lol i like that idea as well

Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Beginning Member
zeedeevil21 is on a distinguished road

After i noticed my gear oil leakin from the bottom of the rusty cover...got a new one washed ..primed..and painted with rustoleum enamel ...sorry about the big pic.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-28-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Display thumbnail, link to full res image
Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good!