Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Power Seat Driver Side Forward and Back Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 PM
Starting Member
emod79 is on a distinguished road
Default Power Seat Driver Side Forward and Back Issue

(Note this is cross posted on s10forum.com)

Looking for some help on diagnosing my power seat issue.

So, I recently bought a decent pair of fully optioned leather seats (8-way, heat, lumbar, memory) from a high trimmed 2001 Jimmy at the yard. Currently the seats are on my workbench directly connected to a 12v source. Passenger seat, no issues. Driver’s seat, all the basic functions work except for the forward and back travel partly work.

So when I press the switch forward, the seat moves ½ inch then stops. I release the switch and press it forward again, the seat moves ½ inch then stops. The exact same thing happens when moving backward. It will continue to do this until I hit the physical stop.

Things I have tried:

I thought it might have been a relay issue, so I went back to the yard and picked 2 memory control modules from other seats. Plugged the modules in and no change, same issue. So, the control box that came with my seat "should" be good. Side note, one of the seats I got the module from had the same issue but it was happening on the recline.

Connected the leads on the motor directly to my power source and the seat moved fully back and forth without stopping. So that tells me the motor is good.

Took the switch box apart, no issues there, the contacts looked good.

There is a switch/sensor in line with the drive cable with a 3-wire connector on it. I believe it has something to do with the memory recall. Anyway, tried jumping those wires, got nothing.

Is there possibly some limit switch, resistor or chip hidden somewhere in the seat harness that could be causing an issue? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

It could (maybe) have a rack that is tweaked. Try getting another rack and bolting it in and see if that helps.