Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Project '81 Full Size Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Icarus76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Project '81 Full Size Blazer

All...

I've been asking questions here for about a year on my 2000 blazer, and answering others questions, on the s-seriesBlazers,as best I can. But, I've also got a full size '81 that I haven't done much with in the last couple years.

To make a very long story short...

I bought the truck right after college to "get me through" and I loved it. It turned into a toy when I got my first "nice" vehicle. I redid all the suspension (new leaf springs and shocks), all new brake systems, HAD a 400 c.i.d. machined and rebuilt with 350 heads, all edelbrock dressing, custom oversized radiator, yada, yada, yada...you name it...I did it. EXCEPT for body work...

Partly for time and money reasons, I put the truck aside for a couple years. I had a somewhat distant "friend" store it for me. It was supposed to have been indoors...but, sparing you painful details, it was not. Now, I've got the truck back and cancer is rampant. The rocker panels are GONE...and most of the front floor pans are non-existent. The hood is faded and cracked, and everywhere that used to be a small rust spot has become a good sized hole...including the area at the top of the firewall below the windshield. I've come to the realization that the body on this truck is not worth saving. I've learned enough to turn my own wrenches...but, I've got no business even pretending to be a body man.

I want to be sure to make smart decisions on how to move forward with this thing. I've got near $10k in mechanicals...and it's cancerous piece of junk.

As far as I can see, I've got two options...

Get myself a southern body...or...get one of those fiberglass tubs (see the link).

http://www.usbodysource.com/

I could proably get a whole other truck for what it costs to buy a fiberglass body. But, that's only going to rust out again, in time. I've heard that if you want to do any off-roading, the fiberglass bodys are no good...because of thier tendancy to crack in flexion. Is that true?

General thoughts?

Where would you go with this?

Thanks!

Icarus

Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Project '81 Full Size Blazer

Fiberglass body is a bad idea for offroading, I'd buy another truck and use the body off of it. Yes, it will rust in time, but everything will. Just make sure you garage it while you do the work. When it's ready for body work take it to the shop and get it done or leave it stored until your ready. That is if you really want to keep the 10k you invested already.