Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

radio mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member
michaeljwyo is on a distinguished road
Default radio mounts?

Hi guys - have a '95 S-10 Blazer - apparently the 1st year of the 2nd gens. The people I bought it from put in an aftermarket radio that's lying there in the hole. Apparently the "kid" they bought it from probably had some hot shot expensive system and pulled it out when they bought it. The whole panel and hardware are missing where a radio would mount. I know it's probably a rarity but I'm more into stock stuff and "they way it's supposed to be." So I'd like to take this back to the way it was when it was made and put in a true Delco factory stereo. I know I can find those plentiful on Ebay. However, my concern is that it's just a huge hole there with nothing to mount a radio to....much less having anything OEM to mount the DELCO radio to. I'm curious as to what I'm faced up against here. I've scoured the internet and the forums trying to find pictures of the dash and the radio area of a '95 S10 Blazer but can't seem to come up with much. These days so many people get rid of the OEM stereos and put in aftermarket so even when I DO find pics, it's of aftermarket systems with an aftermarket bezel to fill that hole. On the right side of the "hole" I do see what appears to be a couple of tabs (or what's left of them) sticking out from the edge of the HVAC control panel. Were there tabs there? Was that part of the mount for the OEM panel that used to be there? On the right side I see nothing....just the edge of the instrument cluster. At the bottom, nothing but a flat piece that the lower trim snaps in to. At the top it looks like there are a couple of holes and a couple of pins where maybe the mount piece attached to. I've no idea. All the trim pieces around the hole are okay but certainly don't seem sturdy enough that a mount to hold a radio would be solid enough. Shorter version of my question - I can't tell what's missing here. Not sure what's all supposed to be there. I'm sure the short ANSWER is, go to a wrecking yard and pull one apart and see and grab whatever hardware I need. I have a yard about 80 miles from here that I used to go to that would let me out in the yard to get what I wanted. That was like 8 years ago so I'm not sure if things have changed with insurance regs and stuff in Utah and if I can still do that. I guess 2nd choice in this situation would be to go ahead and see if I can find a panel that replaces the OEM panel and allows mounting of a typical single-din aftermarket stereo and then just mount the single-din unit I have right now. Anyways....any suggestions or maybe pics of this that you know of.

Michael

Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Typically, the factory stereo bolts right in... hopefully your wiring harness is still intact (a plug instead of lose wires.) To get the bezel off a 95, I think there's just a couple of screws around the guage cluster, then the bezel pops off with a few firm tugs. Just thought I'd point out though, you may be better off getting a mount for the stereo you have now in there, just so you can keep your CD player, I don't think they came with anything other than casette players back then lol, I could be wrong though. I was 5 years old when your truck was built.

Last edited by oktain; 09-03-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Beginning Member
michaeljwyo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Oktain! That's exactly what I was looking for. Okay so it looks like there ARE some holes where a mount would bolt. I also looked on Ebay and did see a few of the factory mounts. It appears the little "storage compartment" which is underneath the OEM stereo is part of that mount and the radio mounts on top of it with a couple of "arms" that come up from the side of it and bolt to the sides. I have a Delco OEM AM/FM/Cassette w/EQ sitting here that I'm not using and I know it would work perfectly there. I'm not as much into CDs. My other car has a cd/cassette unit and I use a cassette adaptor in the cassette player to play my MP3 player through it. I could always go to Wal-Mart and buy a portable CD player for $10 and run it that way if I can't find something. I was also looking on Ebay for a Delco OEM unit that is the same size that has the cassette and CD. THAT would be what I'd ultimately like to do. However it'll be tricky to find one with the bolts on the side that can mount into the Blazer mount. If I keep the aftermarket Pioneer stereo that's there, then I have no way to feed my MP3 player into it....other than an FM modulator and those suck. I've worked in radio for 20 years and I'm a real audiophile - so I'm kinda picky. I've also been into wiring and putting in radios for probably 25 years so I can always work around a harness problem. Thanks for the pic, though....that helps a lot. I'm pretty sure those 4 screw holes that are showing in the pic are also available on mine. The bezel is pretty loose anyway from when (I assume) the kid yanked his hot shot aftermarket system out of there. Once all is said and done I may try to widen the gaps on the snaps that hold the bezel in snapped on....right now it doesn't take much of a tug to snap it off....more like just a touch.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

No problem, that's why I'm a member here, so I can try and help as much as I've been helped. Good luck on your audio adventure lol.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

they do make factory cd player for ur 95 also 97 the cd changed style so u need to make sure the mounts on the top

Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Beginning Member
CTYankee is on a distinguished road

If you are interested I just pulled out the Delco from my truck {2003 2dr LS} and replaced it with a single din stereo to free up room for switches. If it fits your needs and will go into your truck, you are welcome to it for shipping cost only. I have no need for it and it has the CD player, but no cassette player.

I do not know if it will go into your truck, maybe some of the other guys here could let you know. Also there is no harness.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm pretty sure a deck from a late model 2nd gen won't work. If I'm not mistaken they went to a double din in 03, so I'm fairly positive it just won't fit.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member
CTYankee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
I'm pretty sure a deck from a late model 2nd gen won't work. If I'm not mistaken they went to a double din in 03, so I'm fairly positive it just won't fit.
Yes it is a double din unit. Ahh well, srry Michael, guess it won't work for what you are trying to do.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

I'll take your Factory cd player from 2003. How much is the shipping? Is there anything wrong with it? how does it play cd? can you put a pic of the cd player up? let me know and ill buy now i can send paypal? Thanks Tony