Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rear glass latch rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rear glass latch rattle

I have found no permanent solution to the rear glass rattle. The best solution so far isto wrapthe striker with a 3/4" x 6"strip of duct tape. That willreducethe rattle for about three weeks. The window latchmechanism will eventually wear through the duct tape and the rattle will return.As thewindow latch vibrates itwearsthrough any kind of material you can put on the striker that dampensthe rattle.

The latch mechanism will also wear a groove in the striker which will increase the clearance between the two makingthe rattle more noticable. I installed a new OEM striker /plate assembly and it helped very little.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone ever try to either weld or liquid metal the striker to build it up and make it tighter? Seems that a bead of weld on the stricker itself to build it up would help. I've done this on a few different vehicles where the latch itself just seems too loose. Then file/grind it down so that everything still works like it should... Just a thought. Liquid metal would be something to start with to prove out the concept.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:36 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

i didnt read thru the whole thread so forgive me if this was already said.

i was replacing my tailgate this weekend due to rust and the problem is that the rear window latch is not properly aligned. u have to take the interior piece off of the tailgate, then peal back the plastic by the latch and unbolt the cover. once that cover is off u will be able to access the entire latch for the rear window/tailgate. there r 2 studs from the latch assembly they r held in by 2 nuts w/ washers on the end. the holes that these r attached to r slotted so u can move them around to get the latch in the right spot then tighten it down. make sure that the window striker will go all the way back and firmly against the weatherstripping to assure there is no more squeek.

I think this will solve ur problem.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:09 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have brazed filler material on my latch to build up the wear point. Read a previous post of mine where I made a brass sleeve and epoxied it to the latch. It works great but it is not permanent either as I just had to epoxy once again. The brass sleeve gives a large surface area for a contact point.

Below is my thread on this very subject

https://blazerforum.com/m_153099/tm.htm