2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer rear hatch glass missing latch hook and pin

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Starting Member
CTMark629 is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Blazer rear hatch glass missing latch hook and pin

Hello group. This is my first post to the forum. I recently purchased a mint '99 4dr Blazer that was born in California. It is rust free with an all original body. It is the base model (which is what I was searching for) and has no side moldings, etc.

I took the rear wiper off and welded the holes in the tailgate, then painted it with the 2 stage factory color. It looks much cleaner. I then found (on Ebay) a non-heated, lightly tinted rear hatch glass to finish off the "base" look.

I paid my dough and received the glass. It was in "B" condition but- the pin and hook that is molded into the glass that locks it to the tailgate has been broken off so the window can't latch.

Has anyone had this problem? I'm going to try and take the part off a broken hatch glass at the junkyard and J-B Weld it on.

What do you guys think? I hope I didn't get totally screwed and can fix this window.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Blazer rear hatch glass missing latch hook and pin-brokenlatch.jpg   1999 Blazer rear hatch glass missing latch hook and pin-factorylatch.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum.

I say try the JB weld (or maybe silicone), if it doesn't work, take it to a glass place and see if they have something specifically for this.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Beginning Member
ricwin is an unknown quantity at this point

To CTMark629,
I was scanning the threads and saw your rear window latch problem, I need one, too. Did you ever find one or make a one of your own? Please get back to me if you found a fix formula.
I did't know it, but the missing window latch was causing a leach drain on my battery. I never knew why my battery would drain to sub starting power after only sitting for a few days. It turns out that the gate window has to firmly close in order to press the interior light switch button in the lower gate hasp or female and locking part of the mechanism. I figured out a different way to depress the button, but still want to find the window latch. Get back, please.

ricwin

Old 11-11-2020, 10:29 AM
Starting Member
Bigpoppy117 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CTMark629
Hello group. This is my first post to the forum. I recently purchased a mint '99 4dr Blazer that was born in California. It is rust free with an all original body. It is the base model (which is what I was searching for) and has no side moldings, etc.

I took the rear wiper off and welded the holes in the tailgate, then painted it with the 2 stage factory color. It looks much cleaner. I then found (on Ebay) a non-heated, lightly tinted rear hatch glass to finish off the "base" look.

I paid my dough and received the glass. It was in "B" condition but- the pin and hook that is molded into the glass that locks it to the tailgate has been broken off so the window can't latch.

Has anyone had this problem? I'm going to try and take the part off a broken hatch glass at the junkyard and J-B Weld it on.

What do you guys think? I hope I didn't get totally screwed and can fix this window.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Did you ever fix that problem, I purchased a mint 1995 S10 blazer LT and it looks like some tried to pop open the rear window, braking off the same hook from the window, ive tried it all