Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Replacing door pins

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing door pins

Hi, I need to replace my drivers door pins & bushings as the door has dropped badly. What I want to ask is has anyone managed to get this job done without disconnecting the electrics? I was wondering whether I would get away with protecting the door with an old bedsheet & hanging it from a beam in my garage so that I can remove the pins then just pull the door far enough out to be able to access the bushes to replace them. Is the wiring long enough to be able to do this? I have a tool to remove the spring so that is no problem. I figured this would save me a lot of time if I didn't have to pull the door panel off to disconnect the electrics.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I was over in the USA a couple weeks ago & I bought the pin & bush kits from Advance Auto Parts as they are much cheaper than here in the UK, so I have everything I need to start the job - would just appreciate a bit of advice first.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I didn't disconnect the wires when I did mine. I used one of the kitchen chairs with a couple of pillows so it sat at just the right height. An extra pair of hands comes in mighty hand, also.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

its best if someone can help. i always got the top one out first then stuck a screw driver into the hinge to hold the door into place then do the bottom one

Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply - that should save me a lot of work.
I will have a go at it this afternoon & enlist the help of someone. My door has dropped so badly that rain sometimes gets in when i'm parked up. Can't find anything wrong with the rubber seals so I am assuming that it's because the door is sitting too low & not contacting the rubber properly in places. I think if I leave the job much longer the pins will wear what's left of the bushes away & start eating into the hinge itself - then i'll be in trouble.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Extra hands make it a lot easier, but if you have rafters you can tie off on, you should be able to get it done quite easily by yourself. Don't pull the electrical conduit too tight and you should be ok there as well.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Beginning Member
ronaldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helps to put tape along where the fender and door panels meet

Even with extra hands it is easy to grind these two areas together and mess up the paint a little bit.