Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Replacing front cab mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Beginning Member
Coddrick is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing front cab mount?

I am replacing the front cab mounts in my '79 full size, my question is, can I jack up the body on one side, then the other? Is there anything I need to disconnect?
It looks as if I just need to loosen bolt up, then crank up the body, but I dont want to do any damage?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Remove all of the bolts on the one side and loosen all of the bolts on the other.

You shouldn't have to lift it much to do what you need to do on the front mounts.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member
Coddrick is on a distinguished road

Thanks yet again, swarlkk!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

About the only thing that I would watch out for when you do this stuff under the hood that might be connected to the inner fenders, etc. The trans lines run to the radiator and then down to the frame stock, but who knows who's been in there & done whatever they pleased with it since it rolled out of the general's assembly plant in '79 (or '78).

Sometimes the ground straps aren't that long, but again, you shouldn't have to lift it that far before you can pull the entire mount out of there and that should give you 1-1.5" of clearance.