Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Replacing seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 PM
mlapinski23 is on a distinguished road

Thanks LowLife. It's good to hear from someone who's been down this path before. Thinking of picking them up and putting them in on Tuesday, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mlapinski23
Thanks LowLife. It's good to hear from someone who's been down this path before. Thinking of picking them up and putting them in on Tuesday, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.
No problem, One thing i left out is the 98+ seats have the other half of the seat belt attached to the side of the seat, Just switch them to your new seats before you put them in. Or you gotta take them back out to do it....Like me lol

Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Finished (but not exactly according to plan):

So I pulled the seats out of the 97 Jimmy on Tuesday (while it was snowing), got them home, and that's where the problems started. The tracks did not match up with my 02 Blazer bolts, so after a bit of head scratching, I decided the only route to go was to mod my existing seat tracks to fit the Jimmy seats. The existing tracks on my Blazer were actually bolted to the frame of the seat, so I had to completely dismantle the cover and every conceivable bolt to get to them. 4 hours, a whole bunch of grinding and drilling later, I was able to install the passenger seat.

Today I tackled the drivers seat, which I decided to skip the whole rewiring of the seating system (in order to both return the seat motors and for frustration/laziness). I was in luck because the seat actually came with a manual adjustment for the top portion of the seat, and since I used my existing track, I was able to install the manual adjustment for the lower half. Also, I was fortunate the the electric adjustments were on the plastic side cover of the seat, which I was able to replace and keep the entire system looking OEM.

My last problem came via the lower seat belt connector. LowLife, I know you warned me, but the Jimmy seat belt connector was bolted into the frame by a different set of holes (which do not exist on my Blazer). Also, the seat belt connector on my Blazer attached to the frame of the seat, which would not be an option for my new seat install. I decided to attach the seat belt connector to the bolt which holds the seat down closest to the center of the car. While it's not perfect, I figure it's the safest (if not safer) alternative. The connector sits a little low on the seat, but that's what I sacrifice for a little piece of mind and safety.

In closing, the entire process was difficult yet rewarding. I really enjoy troubleshooting problems I run into, I think it makes the entire job more enjoyable at the end. Also, I couldn't be happier with the look and feel of the seats, and I'll post some pics soon.

-Matt

Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

It's good when people post their solutions, lots of threads with "I'm doing this, installing such and such day" and then it ends there... well? did you finish! lol.

Good job, I'm on the prowl for some Grand-am/prix seats for my Blazer now... or something different, they're both FUBAR so I might as well upgrade.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Do the Grand Am seats fit Oktain? Cuz I had a GA before this and loved those seats!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road

Holy %$@*, I thought that my 1998 and your 02 would of had the same 2 15mm fronts and 1 rear bolt, Then a t50 inner rear"close to the c/console". Im sorry for telling you it was easy.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Do the Grand Am seats fit Oktain? Cuz I had a GA before this and loved those seats!
I'm going to swap out seat tracks... then it'll fit lmao. I gotta call the pick'n'pulls around here to see if they have grand am/prix seats... I was going to go Cavalier, but now that I think about it, I was never that fond of the ones in my 03... I'd get a sore back on long trips.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 PM

It's all good. Even if you told me it was going to be difficult, I would have done it anyways. I really liked the seats and they were going in if they wanted to or not.