Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

rust issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Starting Member
RMBlazernut is on a distinguished road
Default rust issue

ok my blazer project is going to be a little tougher than i thought. i need opinions on how i should go about fixing this..this is the only bad spot on the truck other than the rocker panels..would you glass it in or what..i want something that's going to hold up in Michigan winter..i would cut it out andadd a new piece but i dont have access to a welder..here are some pics.

all you body experts please chime in..

thanks for your input in advance

Rick

Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

ok i am no expert by any means.

i had a spot like that but only 7" or so long.
now i have my rockers and wheel wells covered in bed liner anyway so.

i cut out the bad about 1" past on either side and than got a piece of steel stock 1" wide or so and then bought the reinforced fiberglass filler and rebuilt it.
i bent the steel to match the well curve and fastened it to the good portions of panel with self tappers. now i do have a welder but i figured my luck i would warp the panel or burn it up....so i settled.

the first layers or so i went heavy on hardener to have set quick so it would stay in place. i then built on that and shaped as i went.
i basically have a 7" long chunk of fiberglass in the middle of the wheel well. been that way since last fall no problems.

prob not the best way but its working.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Starting Member
RMBlazernut is on a distinguished road

thats what i was thinking....just didnt know if fiberglass would hold up in the winter
Thanks for your input

Rick

Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

you shouldn't be worried about a repair job as stated above^ in winter. I live in the snow belt too, just make sure its all sealed up and a fresh layer of clear coat on it.