Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Side Grinder or Rent a Plasma Cutter

Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Side Grinder or Rent a Plasma Cutter

Okay so i'ved removed the interior and there's several places that need to be cut out. I'm considering just renting a plasma cutter for a day. $38.00.
I've never used one how difficult and what kind of trouble can I get myself into?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Side Grinder or Rent a Plasma Cutter

You will still want to have a grinder, but a plasma cutter will make short work of the metal.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok cool..no pun intended.
You're gonna be hearing a lot from me in the near future.
I tried the lazy way and had a body shop quote the rust repair work....all i can say is holy crap batman. Guess i'm gonna learn how to mig weld. By the way is there any reason one cannot paint over a flux cored weld?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In the end, there will be no difference in the weld. You will remove the slag layer off of the top of the weld then finish the weld with a grinder/sander keeping the heat down. You want the weld to stand just a bit proud of the surface of the metal so that you can finish it flat with the surface for minimal body work after the repair.