Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

so another worn door hinge question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:01 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road
Default so another worn door hinge question

OK. Like in my welcome back message, I'm dealing with the dreaded worn hinge pin holes on the driver doors. Youd think after so many years of people dealing with this the egg heads would design better hinges. But anyway. So I'm looking at the top hinge on the door piece. The bottom fork has the typical egged-out hole. I figure I'll start with JB weld and get the hole back in shape. But the top fork, is cracked at the hole. I'm thinking of taking it to a local shop and having it cleaned up and welded. And I've seen a number of the posts on here but wondered a couple of things I haven't seen answered. Has anyone tried to weld a thicker piece of metal on to the top fork and drilling it to beef it up a little more and make it hold?

Also I've been reading about replacement hinges and how the originals are welded on and the new ones have to be bolted. I remember on my old 75 grand prix the hinges were bolted but the holes were big enough that there was a plate inside the door that it actually bolted to. This way you could adjust it to make the door fit better. So my question is has anyone had any success with these bolt on hinges and/or tried this adjustable (not just hard bolted on) method like the older cars. I might give this a go if I can figure out a way to make the adjuster bracket for the inside (another blank plate drilled out???)

Old 08-05-2019, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Did the bushings wear out enough so that that the steel is out of round?

I would think welding in a bit of the hole and then drilling it out might work but I'm no steel fab person.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:24 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

I belong to a few s10 blazer facebook groups, and this is a very common subject on there, too.

I am fairly certain I've seen someone say they used silverado hinges with bigger hinge pins...I'll have to look that back up and see the details.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:57 PM

But no one here has tried after market hinges? I went the JB weld route for now but I'm already seeing the JB weld being cracked. It seems to be holding for now. The door closes smooth (of course that is also since the spring is left out). Just would like some input on these hinges from anyone who has tried them. What to look for. recommendations. Issues when putting them in (like door alignment)

Old 03-30-2020, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

My mechanic just filled the hole by welding it, then drilled a new hole. If you have to repair it by welding anyways, I would say try it out, just measure the location of the hole so it goes back to the same spot.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:44 PM

Yeah. appreciate the input. That is my plan B. but Plan A is to get a couple bolt on hinges and replace them. Depending on what input I get. If I get a few "Oh man don't even try, it's a royal pain." posts Plan B might become Plan A.