Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tailgate change

Old 11-25-2018, 07:28 PM
georgia89k5 is on a distinguished road
Default Tailgate change

I have a 1989 k5 Blazer. am adding a soft top and would like to do away with that tailgate that has a window. I can strip and remove interior components and seal window gap but I'd rather just put a regular truck tailgate. Does anyone know if other regular truck model tailgates will interchange? Same hinges and dimensions?

Old 11-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For a 1989 K5, you are going to need parts from an 81-87 square body pickup. Everything should be available from LMC Truck as well (including the rubber bumpers that might be cracked/missing from a donor truck.The pickup tailgates have hinge plates (trunnions?) that bolt in on either side at the bottom of the bed sides unlike the K5/Suburban tailgates which have two hinges mounted to the bottom of the tailgate. Then there are the links that hold the tailgate when it is down that also have the latch catch. These bolt in up higher on the bed sides. All of the bolt holes should be there, but you may have to chase the threads as they may have gotten some junk/corrosion in them over the past almost 40 years.