Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

airbox mod..

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default airbox mod..

I was bored at work today and decided i'd try the airbox mod, cut out the front and put some 3/4" holes in the side. wasn't expected much of a differance but damn, my exhaust setup sounds sooo.. much better now when I tromp on it. hehe..

I actually thought it was going to sound like crap and use it as an excuse to buy a FIPK... but ..I like it.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: airbox mod..

If it is what I'm imagining it to be, you're also sucking in hot air from the engine bay now too. May want to shield that bad boy up!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM

i only cut in the front where the tube was and the fender side, so it shouldnt be that bad, all sides against the engine are still shielded.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Starting Member
fla_blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

have anypics? i did the same thing, to mine took out the tube with the rivits so much better when im throttleing it.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Made it louder is about all you've done. I'm betting that you'll notice a 30-50*F rise in IAT readings.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:50 PM

I can't see how it would be that much warmer, the part thats cutout is just the front and side which sits directly behind the headlight andby the windshield washer reservoir, and its just the bottom section of the airbox. An air intake even with a shield still has more exposed filter then this setup.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

so u swiss cheezed ur airbox hmm ya never was a fan of that. i wonder what the numbers tell u. i would just do the homemade cai (i plan to do so in summer)

Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Even an out of the box K&N FIPK has shown to have IATs higher than the stock airbox. Unless you seal the area, you will see higher IAT readings which isn't good. The impact will be higher the higher the outside temperature.

By removing the tube, you have opened the airbox up to draw air from closer to it instead of just through that hole behind the headlight. If this area were directly open to the front of the truck, you wouldn't be as bad off, but with the headlight in front of it...

Without a scan tool you'll never know.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 AM

ah well it sounds good!!