Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Anybody try one of these chips on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
BuckingBullMan is on a distinguished road

I have Ran them for over a year on both vehicles so how much more time is a short time? I truly believe in them, they do work !!! I have installed at least 15 of them and never had anything but great luck with them

Old 03-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

These "chips" are just a simple resistor. Nothing more, nothing less, and definitely something that is not too cost restrictive given the recent years of higher and higher CAFE standards.

This resistor tricks the PCM into thinking that the incoming air is at a temperature it is not, causing the PCM to modify its fuel and spark timing. With the engine controls as they are, once the engine gets to closed loop operation, the O2 sensors take over and negate the intended affect of this "module".

Come on here... Just look at the fanatical claims on the auction:
Here are a few of the benefits you may experience:
• Up to 70+ Horsepower and Up to 70+ Ft. Lbs of Torque!
• Up to 22+ MPG Fuel Savings - Beat The High Gas Prices!
• Improved & Smoother Low, Mid & Top End Acceleration & Power
• Smoother Idle (May cure some rough idle issues!)
• Smoother Shifting In Both Automatic & Manual Transmissions
• Improved Climbing & Passing Ability
• Crisper Throttle Response
• Cleaner Spark Plugs (Enhance the life of your engine!)
• Enhance The Time Between Costly Engine Tune-Up's
• Improved 1/8th Mile, 1/4 Mile & Autocross Track Times
• Improve Your MPH While Towing Uphill
• Street Legal
• Save Money By Saving Fuel! Our Kit Pays For Itself!
But hey, slap "Stage 6" on the sticker and make ridiculous HP & MPG claims and you will have people lining up and clawing over each other to buy a magic little black box. Remember that magic is really just sleight of hand.

A few links that might be interesting to some:
"Gas-Saving" Products: Fact or Fuelishness? - FTC.org
Tony's Guide to Fuel saving gadgets - A good read.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member
BuckingBullMan is on a distinguished road

Ever tried one???????? or just read about them?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine was gullible enough to buy a resistor in a box (granted not this particular outrageous marvel). No impact on mileage. This was on a 98 S10 2wd with a 4 banger.

And why is that the only retort that snake oil believers can come back with when presented with hard truth? There is nothing magical about these things that cannot be explained. They do not work on belief. Well, they do not work period.

When someone installs a device such as this, they truly think it is going to work. So much so that even without thinking, their habits change. If you put one of these devices on to actually see if they work, even with out trying, your driving habits change. You want to get the best mileage ever so you do things differently. This is basic nature, but it is in no way definitive proof that a particular item changed anything as it could have just been your driving habits that accounted for all of said change.

The EPA has tested MANY devices like this and found no appreciable change in mileage. Definitely not the huge gains that this particular manufacturer is claiming. But there really is no need to single out this manufacturer because they all are, IMHO, scam artists.

Take it for whatever you think it is worth.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
vadatara2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually I bought 2 of them and put them series. I now sell my excess gas each month to Citgo (kind of like the solar panels where the elect. co. buys back from you) Also John Force has contacted me asking if I would like to enter my blazer along side the Mustang Funny car he drives.
Some people can sell snow in Alaska!!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

hahah

I think buckingbull sells these things...installed 15 of them? hrmmm...

Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WolfPack
hahah

I think buckingbull sells these things...installed 15 of them? hrmmm...
lol most likely

Old 03-23-2009, 04:12 AM
Beginning Member
holaman is on a distinguished road

A guy could do this: Pull your IAT sensor, refrigerate it to about 40F, read the resistance with an ohm meter, go buy a high quality resistor with that same value for 25 cents (not a crappy 10 cent one) and see if you get some kind of gain. Sometimes an increase in ign. advance that results from this mod will give a little better low end torque. Sometimes. Sometimes you will see a decrease in fuel econ. because the PCM is now making the mixture a little too rich. Sometimes, that will add power (depending on your mods) sometimes it will take some power away. The point is you can find all this out on your own with a $3.99 Harbor Freight ohm meter and a 25 cent resistor. (If you really want to save money you can borrow the ohm meter). You can also read more about this kind of mod here:http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_109134/article.html There is good stuff on that site! (Look! The new guy is already giving back!) Regards, Eric

Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

You could even get real exciting and buy a potentiometer and make yourself a nifty little GO FASTER dial on the dash

Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Administrator

But the trick is to keep it in open loop. You cannot do it with a two wire hookup.

Quick Reply: Anybody try one of these chips on ebay?