Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Big 3 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Big 3 Question

Now I know there's a few posts about this already, but I have a specific question that hasn't been answered in any of them. Now the 3 'Big' spots to connect are the negative and frame, negative and engine block, and positive and alternator. So, i've read a few how to's that each tell me different things. My question, Does the Positive to Alternator need to be fused? One how-to said yes, because else if the battery wants to draw too much out of the alternator, you could damage your alternator. I would say there's some credit there, but I'm not sure. Another how-to says it's optional. My main reason for asking this is that it would make the difference between me having to run this large gauge wire thru to my fuse panel or me having to buy a large fuse to put in-line with this wire. I dont want to have to do that if possible. So if anyone could answer this for me, i thank you greatly!
-Kev

And if anyone's done this on a first gen blazer, where you connected your stuff and maybe pics would much appreciated also!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Big 3 Question

I don't know about the first gen Blazer, but the second gen Blazers have a fusible link wireinline to the Alternator.

*added* by the way.. the fusible link wire is usually 4 ga. smaller than the line its attached to and is attached to the end near the battery.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

No it doesn't have to be fused. Running a fuse has nothing to do with the battery's draw on the alt.
The fuse is there for safety reasons if the cable gets cut. It make no since since both ends are hot, th fuse will only kill the battery side (if installed in the correct spot) and the other end is still hot until the motor (alt) shuts off.

Many makes don't even include a fuse from the factory.

Mine is a 2.8 I can take pics tomorrow if you want them. My alt is on the pass side, I think 4.3s have their alt on the driver side.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 PM

pics would b good. Mine's a 4.3L and yes the alt is on the driver's side

Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want to know the section of wire that I have circled below is a fusible link. the pupose of the 4ga smaller wire is that it will burn into if something major shorts out in your truck, this will keep your wiring harness from becoming a mess of melted mess. It just a extra piece of mind and lots of people dont use them.

This is the cable out of a 96 model, I used this cable on my 95, but had to make the alt. wire longer.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM

ok, thanks. I would probably use a replaceable fuse if i fused it at all. Which i don't think I will, considering neo's post. thanks a lot guys! Does anyone know a good place to get 1 gauge wire?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Beginning Member
beatinPearls is an unknown quantity at this point

Car audio shops or welding supply places. they all use fine strand wire.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

You can use a fuse if it helps you sleep better at night (IMHO it just pointless). As long as its sized right it won't harm a thing. I'd suggest staying away from fusible links. They relay on using a strip of undersized wire that will burn through before the rest. This defeats the whole point of running 1/0 if you bottle neck it with 4 gauge at the starting point.

Welding cable. Not as pretty as audio cable they have to apply to a stricter wire sizing, insulation ratings, and normally cheaper. Audio cable is higher priced and there is no governing body saying what exact size measurement is what. I've also never seen any ratings on the insulation of their wires.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 AM

i was thinking knukonceptz.com they seem to have a pretty good selection. And not that bad on the wallet either.