Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Brake upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 PM
red_dog007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brake upgrades?

Are there any brake kits for an 85 Blazer? I want to get ride of the drums in the rear, and put in discs. Then if possible, I would like to put larger calipers up front.
I am not sure if stock are 1-piston or 2, but if they are 1, upgrading to a 2-piston caliper would be awesome.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Brake upgrades?

Don't know how much trouble it would be to go to a 2nd generation brake setup. You have single piston front calipers. The '98+ models have 2 piston front calipers and rear disk brake setups.

You really would need to get the steering uprights from the front of a '98+ and compare them to yours... You either need to determine if you can bolt up the caliper bracket to your upright or bolt up the upright to your wheel bearing, front CV axle, and control arms.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM
chance91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, this is easy! Ok!
Step one, Go to a junk yard!
Find a 98 Jimmy or Blazer!
See if it has the 2 piston aluminum calipers!
remove as follows:
remove brake line (rubber one) from upper connection on frame
remove the 36mm nut on the cv.
remove cv from the truck
take the cotter pins out of Ball joints, remove nut on ball joints, use ball joint remover and break loose upper and lower ball joints.
um, take offall the other electrical connectors and you should have the whole spindle/brake setup..

Err. so you can keep the new wheelbearings oryour old ones, but you must have the brakes, the line, and the braket and thats it.Same ball joints, recommend you get new ones, andif you have abs you need YOUR backing plate.. ok long winded, but it works, i did it on my 92Bravada. Also, the lower control arms/upper control arms swap, so does thesway bar with the matching LCA's. a 96+Bravada or 95 -97 (i think, really need to check) ZR2 uses a 33mm sway bar, decent upgrade.Hope that helps, ask q's if ya need.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
chance91 is an unknown quantity at this point

The rear differential swap is more difficult. But its able to be done, take some time and a little mods. I'm working on it, but you need to re-pipe your brake lines, prolly need a new brake booster, and I don't know how to make abs work unless you use the VSS sensor kind ( I don't).