Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Cheapets and Easiest way to Get More Hp

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cheapets and Easiest way to Get More Hp

Go to a junkyard and find a good old K5 Blazer. All those things had 350's in them. You gotta make sure your air intake and exhaust have perfect ratio or else you can be losing a lot of HP. If you start taking in more air you'll need more fuel injection. Also as for the exhaust, the only thing you can do is rip it right off. Too little exhaust creates constipation in the engine and can overwork it, too much exhaust loses blow back pressure. I hear anything over a 3" exhaust is like having no exhaust system at all. Depending on where you live, if you don't have emissions tests, take off that cat and muffler and put a big 2.5" pipe. That will let the exhaust flow nicely and sound amazing. With a 350, go duals. That will give you goosebumps.

When I put the AEM Brute Force air intake in my truck I lost throttle response and it gave me lousy acceleration at certain RPMs. When I put the Flowmaster 40 on it I think it made it worse. In some cases you can lose HP. I think I lost enough that I can't do brake stands anymore. The engine just moans real low.

I say the best thing you can do is cam it up, bore it out, but that's expensive. Try more fuel injection, do anything you want. They're all learning experiences that can either be good.. or tragically wrong.

And as for alcohol, you have to convert a few things. Alcohol is like poison to an engine, it eats it. Especially sitting in the brake lines. You gotta talk to a guy who's converted for alcohol, there's a bunch of things you gotta do. I guarantee though alcohol in a 350 will make you own the road.

Easiest solution, take out all the seats, cut off every ounce of sheet metal you don't need, try to make the Blazer weigh about 2000 pounds if possible. :P
Now I'm not a pro, but this is just advice. That concludes my novel.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a ton of cam and eeprom kits for these things. That along with a nice intake and cat back system should give you a good boost for less than a grand.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM
davidstl25 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey you really seem like you know alot about these blazers yes i have a 1999 Blazer ZR2 i have around 140,000 miles on it i have recently been buying upgrades but now im kinda wondering what would be some more good **** to go with what i got now these are a list of the parts i put on
1. cold air intake k&n
2. Jet performance Throttle body spacer
3. Jet Performance Underdrive pulleys
4. Hypertech Power stat 160 degrees
5. Electric Fan Kit
6. Flowmaster Exhaust

i have a few more that im going to be putting in this weekend which are the following
7. Jet Performance Mass Air Flow Sensor
8. B&M Shifter Improver
9. Jet Performance Stage 1 computer module i had ordered a stage 2 but this company i ordered it thru closed down and didnt send my part so this guy sold me the stage 1 for cheap 120 shipped to me couldnt pass it up considering the chip i ordered is on back order until Feb so im going to be selling the stage 1 when i get my stage 2 if anyone wants to buy a chip

I know im needing to put some headers and i want to do a low end cam but im not to sure which would be the best for me and have ever heard of OBX racing headers if so how good are they cause they say they compare to JBA headers

Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't run the air conditioner :P