Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Designing a plug in ECU chip emulator.. any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Beginning Member
jamez70 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Designing a plug in ECU chip emulator.. any interest?

Hey all,

I'm an electrical engineer, and recently I have taken some interest in ECU tuning. I own a 95' blazer myself and I have been tweaking around and seeing what I could do.

Anyway, I am currently designing a plug in emulator for the EPROM socket inside the MEMCAL adapter that would allow you to program the ECU installed. I cannot reveal much more information at this time until the design is complete, but it will enable you to upgrade the software in the ECU without physically removing the chip from the computer.

This would be on any GM car, pre-1996, and would also allow multiple copies of software to be installed which could be switched on the fly in order to try different parameters.

I will probably set the target price around $50-$60 for the completed design, much more reasonable than any other solution of this type.

Does anyone have any interest in something like this? I'm trying to get a feel for how much interest there would be in order to judge whether the efforts of designing and manufacturing this is feasable.

Please let me know.

Regards,
Jim

Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Hi Jim,
im still not sure what you mean. what exactly will this chip do exactly? like will it help the way my 95 S10 runs? i might be interested if i understood what exactly it does or can do. please let me know, thanks so much

Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Beginning Member

You can change the code in the computer.. You could change spark tables, disable EGR, air/fuel ratios... anything you wanted to do.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:26 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Including frying your computer and/or engine?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member

LOL.. Not likely unless you're a real ****

Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If your program allows users to adjust critical function parameters without any limitations or safeguards, then trust me, there will be folks who screw it up.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:56 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

not if you follow instructions or stay within the safety parameters.....i think its a great idea...especially if you plan to take a long drive trip. the truck can run with they way you program it so that you have less of a chance of something failing while on the long trip and getting stuck.... im interested in it.....

Last edited by bigdaddykane93; 09-30-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 09-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Beginning Member

I'm still in the design phase, and should have something done in the next few weeks hopefully.

Of course you could screw the engine up, but thats the risk you take when tuning. Tuning via the computer is something you have to do carefully. This device will make the process easier.

I've been tuning my ECU occasionally, and I thought this up because its a pain in the *** to change things. I have to pull out the MEMCAL, put it in the programmer, program it, then put it back in the ECU. This will enable you to program it right in the ECU without having to remove it to pull out the MEMCAL.