Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

First Upgrades

Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
ryansim2025 is on a distinguished road
Default First Upgrades

So, I've got some tax money, and I want to put it to use. I've got a stock 1997 and want to thrown on some 31" Wrangler Duratrac's this fall. I know I'll need a bit more power to power them along, as even now with stock street tires it feels sluggish. I'm thinking of an Airaid intake and throttle body spacer. Are these worth while upgrades? I've hear that simply tuning the engine helps alot, but where dose one go around the Twin Cities Mn to have that done? I've seen people post about Wait4Me, but this is my only car, and can't wait for a reprogram, though I hear it seems to be money well spent. Are there other bolt on's I should be looking at?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_LT is on a distinguished road

if have have 160 something bucks they will send you a new pcm and you keep your stock one. seems the smarter way to go incase something goes wrong with the program or you change your truck and you need to retune the pcm

Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by ryansim2025 View Post
So, I've got some tax money, and I want to put it to use. I've got a stock 1997 and want to thrown on some 31" Wrangler Duratrac's this fall. I know I'll need a bit more power to power them along, as even now with stock street tires it feels sluggish. I'm thinking of an Airaid intake and throttle body spacer. Are these worth while upgrades? I've hear that simply tuning the engine helps alot, but where dose one go around the Twin Cities Mn to have that done? I've seen people post about Wait4Me, but this is my only car, and can't wait for a reprogram, though I hear it seems to be money well spent. Are there other bolt on's I should be looking at?
You will probably want some sort of life to fit those 31s. Either t-bar crank and shackles, body lift, or even the 2.5 inch rough country suspension lift are all good cheap options. To help bigger tires, many people have to regear. I don't know what gear ratio you are running, but I have the 3.43s in mine and it is a bit sluggish at times with 31s. Might eventually upgrade to 3.73s.

Something to help out power a bit would be to upgrade your exhaust system. Get a less restrictive muffler and piping and yeah, a cold air intake would work great with this.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I just got the W4M tune and i like it so far. It was doing some funny things to my transmission for a little bit but it doesn't do it anymore so that part is all good. I think ill send it back to them shortly for a re tune because i just put 31's on