Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

HP and Tourqe help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

You could install a line lock. Maybe 4.10 gears with the stock size tires would make it spin tires off the line better.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

just remember it being a four by four means whatever you to do the rear axle you must also do in the front one as well

Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM
ethan.a.price is on a distinguished road

I would definitely get rid of the pre-cat and the actual cat and replace the stock muffler/or in your case, Glasspack, with a chambered or straight through style muffler. You can go either single in single out or single in dual out. I would not run true duals... kinda over kill for a V6. Be sure to check emissions laws. AL doesn't do emissions testing but if you get pulled over and the officer is a pain he could write a hefty ticket. IMO no cats with a single in dual out flowmaster with 3 inch diameter 18 inch long exhaust tips ran striaght out the back sounds amazing. V8 sound at idle and only a slight whine/high pitch when you are getting on it. Also, a cold air intake will help a little with mid range torque. Don't expect to gain 30 ft lbs but it will make a little difference.. maybe 7-9 horse and 8-12 ft lbs torque. I have had 3 Blazers, just recently bought my 3rd and the exhaust is the biggest bolt-on/weld on performance gain you can get from these... you WILL pick up gas mileage if nothing else. 1-3 MPGs to be exact.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

1. removal of cats is a violation of federal law
2. cold air intake give no improvement over stock which is already a cold air intake
3. its a blazer not a corvette...want more power spend more money, either build up the engine or swap it for something bigger

Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 AM

Ok, maybe the cold air isn't so cold but you cannot tell me that a bigger intake tube with a more free flowing filter will not improve power and efficiency. The engine has more air readily available and does not have to "suck" as hard to get the same amount of air as it would if it had the stock intake. The engine can breathe better with mandrel bends and more free flowing filters. A stock intake is like having boogers in your nose in the morning versus a "Cold Air Intake" which is what your nose feels like after you blow that crap out. While it may take a dyno just to see the results of a cold air intake, it still doesn't change the fact that it will and does improve power at some part of the RPM range. As for the removal of cats... well it may be illegal federally, but my state does not check whether or not you are breaking the law and for all you know my blazer could be for off road use only. NASCAR race cars and Bigfoot don't have cats... I too agree its a Blazer and not a Corvette but at the same time bolts ons do improve efficiency. I have proven that with my Blazer 13.5 to 16 in town just by doing a CAI and a free flowing exhaust. I can't really tell too much of a difference as far as power goes but a imagine I gain at least 10 ponies somewhere in that power curve.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Jasongr81 is on a distinguished road

Seafoam!!! I just seafoamed my 95 CPI put half bottle in my oil and half in my fuel and can already see a power and fuel mileage increase. I have a CAI and no muffler just stock straight pipe and what I think is a resonator behind the y pipe I have no cat at all and my Blazer is as quiet as stock with no muffler. Next Seafoam I am gonna do is into the throttle body and I have been trying to find out where else to put it. Dies anyone know? I have been searching but no results.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Jasongr81 is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention it is very easy to get the tires to spin on mine! Off the line and power braking it.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coolasice
1. removal of cats is a violation of federal law
2. cold air intake give no improvement over stock which is already a cold air intake
3. its a blazer not a corvette...want more power spend more money, either build up the engine or swap it for something bigger

^ this. It already has a cold air intake from the factory. And if the new one does give any power, I doubt if it would be more than 5-8, and it would be so far up the power curve as to be unnoticeable.

You can spend a ton on bolt-ons, and maybe make a few extra ponies, at the expense of torque. But if you are serious about power, you need to be thinking about camshafts, higher compression, even forced induction. Heck, build a 350 and put in if you really want to go fast.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 AM

I wasn't talking about speed. I was just simply informing someone on ways to make a little extra power for a only a couple hundred bucks. I have less than $400 in my CAI and full exhaust. If you wanna go fast get turbo 4 cylinder with direct injection and 25lbs of boost...09 Cobalt SS turbo... or a dang a M series beemer. This discussion about what a cold air intake is and isn't and has been argued time and time again. Yea it may not be a means of getting the xoldest airnpossible but it is by far less restrictive thus having more air readily available for the engine to suck in. As for the exhaust... an aftermarket or custom welded exhaust is by far... a lot more less restrictive thus enabling the engine to more easily push exhuast gas out. The goal of every engine is to run as efficiently as possible by adding bolt ons you are helping it that much more.will bolt ons give you a hundred ponies no 50 nomaybe if you have a programmer or custom tune but still... i doubt it. I agree if you want a lot more power a cam and supporting parts (lifters, rockers, pushrods etc...) is the way to go or forced induction but those types of setups cost thousands. So if someone can spend a few hundred and get a sound they want while adding a little performance and a lot of efficiency.....