Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?

I'd rather buy a car that costs around 15-20k and put the remaining 55-60k dollars into performance, and destroy the stock skyline, for the same price.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 2001BlazrLS
i apologize for being off topic but..blazerbeam..WHAT KIND OF GRILL IS THAT ON YOUR CAR? lol
It's called a Phantom Grille. You can get 'em here, but they're pricey. And theydon't make them for '98+Blazers.

As for the ol' ricer vs. musclecar argument, I lean toward mojo on that. It's really like comparing apples with oranges, and depends on what you like. I had a Maxima, which is not even in the same league as a Skyline, but I still loved it. I also love my Blazer -- just for different reasons.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point

ok so you can get a skyline for $75,000. another 5,000 and youre only at $80,000. who on here has $80,000 for a car let alone a import ? or would want to buy one? or better yet if you spend $80,000 on a car it BETTER have 500 hp. i wouldnt build a nova,slowmaro, or chevelle everybody and their brother has one. i have a 69 GTO Judge for a reason. its quite a bit rarer then those other cars. youre right 500hp isnt streetable at all. thats why it is a toy. i wouldnt need to put $20,000 into my engine to burn a skyline. yes the syclone is the fastesttruck ever produced (1/4 mile time). let me go to my local nissan delership and see what they tell me when i tell them i want a skyline. i think i would get laughed out of the dealership. the point i am making is on a budget some of us dont have a $80,000 budget for a car (ive seen houses for sale cheaper then that) it will take less for a V8 to get 500 hp then a import. period. end of story. you can grasp at the ultra rare ultra expensive imports and say well this will beat a V8 but if youre going to compare 2 cars at least compare apples to apples. compare a ultra rare ultra expensive V8 to the same import and youll get the same result.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Starting Member
mojoman13 is an unknown quantity at this point

well the skyline has 475hp and ya i totally agree i personally dont have 80G's but your saying that every car that your too poor to afford is a waste of money. farrari, lambo, corvettes, vipers your cutting them all down cause you know you will never be able to afford one. and 500hp is streetable in a import but not as much in a big V8.
oh and i was really bored and i finally read that stupid article and this is the comparison.
140hp 1.8L vtec to 500hp = 360hp gain =10500 = 29.11111 dollars per hp
350hp 455 v8to 500hp = 150hp gain = 4000 = 26.6666 dollars per hp
i cost $2.50 more per horsepower to get the honda up to 500hp and that honda engine is one of the most costly to improve hp
swap out the honda for a car with closer hp
92 supra TT 280hp
280hp 3.0L v6 to 500hp = 220hp gain = 5000 = 22.72727272 dollars per hp
costs 4 dollars less per hp to get the supra to 500hp
(based on google seaches found two sites both said to get 500hp would cost 4000 but i rounded up to 5000 just to be safe)

and look cheap fast cars that i could pick up tomorrow if i wanted.
http://www.redlineimports.ca/Candian...z-07-04-08.htm

little bit more for the GTR but its a 13.0 second car....
http://www.redlineimports.ca/Candian...R-07-01-10.htm
335WHP and 300ft lbs of torque (i thought u said imports dont have the torque it takes to get going, guess you were wrong)

Price of cars listed here includes the out of province and mechanical inspection being done, GST, and total cost to bring car to Edmonton, Alberta. Cars will be ready to register in the province of Alberta upon being sold

they are affordable and dam fast too.

you should pick one up some time

Old 05-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Starting Member

well if you think 300 ft/lbs of torque is a lot then i guess i am wrong. keep in mind the buick 455 is a lot more expensive to build then a SBC. or even a BBC. just like you say the honda engine is more expensive to build then whatever (all i hear about is a skyline but i dont knwo what would be cheaper to build then a honda) and the buick had stock heads. the only "major" upgrades were headers,cam,and port work to the stock heads. oh yeah and its all motor car. they spent $3900 on the buick ($10,900 for the honda with 33 lbs of boost). everything was upgraded with the honda. with the $7,000 left over you can be well over 500 hp. and get you in the 10's at least. heres another point as to all motor vs boost. look at NHRA super stock rules (all motor car is the biggest thing) and see what times they are running. i have yet to see any import (not that i pay that much attetion to them) with boost get close to what a nhra superstock car will run. have they even broke 10's yet?

Old 05-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Starting Member

how fast do those NHRA super stocks run?
theres a whole bunch of huge hp imports doing crazy quarter miles like this skyline here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLjKQ8N_C0
quarter mile in 7.92

completely street legal supra that does 9.0 at 160mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4605...eature=related

skyline that does 7.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWX5rsAHH0

Old 05-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Starting Member

ok are these surerstocks or are these just built ? there is a diffrence. thats why i said find a import that runs superstock. NHRA superstock you have to use factory block and heads and carb (for muscle cars) you also have to have a full interrior. the only mods allowed are headers,intake, and valvetrain. there is a minuim weight requirement i believe it is 3,000 lbs. also they burn pump gas ( not racing gas) id like to see a import with 20-30 # of boost run on pump gas. keep in mind there are over 80 classes in superstock. so out of those 80 classes find me one import that will run better then a domestic car. if you want to go with more of a outlaw exaple you will end up with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7iTcjUmTo

these are strictly pontiacs
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=458469

the thing you dont understand is the faster you go the more power it will take. it will take less to go from 10.0 to 9.5 then it will to go from 9.0 to 8.5 (thats why i say you can only boost so much) more boost= more cylinder pressure thats why youll see head gaskets (for one exapmle) blowing. ive been talking about engine numbers (hp/ torque) once you get those numbers you still have to have it hook up and the rest of the systems have to work as well (enough fuel,strong enough drivetrain,....) not to mention having a chassy that will handle the power as well. what was that about your skyline now? on the pontiac list alone that will get you somewhere between 11-13 not to mention any of the other makes that will run just as fast if not faster. and that video was the fastest skyline run ever. i cant wait to hear your responce.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Starting Member

i dont get it
we go from compairing imports to domestics and the cost to raise the horsepower in both right
then you have no points left so you say how domestics are better at super stock racing
ok i give it to ya if you wanna make a super stock 7 second car go domestic for sure but if you want the fastest car you can drive on the street you go imported.
like ive said before it depends on what you want
and our arguing is dumb because we both have valid points but the thing is that we want different things.
i dont want a car that can do 8 seconds at the track if i cant drive it on the street
in my opinion if you put 30k into a car and all it can do is rip it up at the track then thats a waste of money.
but remember thats my opinion right.
i would rather have a 700hp import that will beat anything and everything that pulls up next to it at the lights.
and with 700hp in an import it issurprisingly not a very rough ride
they can be stuck in traffic without a problem they can be a daily driver.
and thats what i love, that you can drive it to work everyday.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is an age old discussion. It all depends on what you want. If you want an import, you will get an import. If you want domestic, you will get domestic. They both are capable of doing what you want them to do.

To say that you can do one thing in one and that you cannot do that same thing in the other is ignorant. It goes both ways and I think it should be left at that.

Talk of money just complicates things as that is highly dependent on the vehicles being discussed. As both of you are mainly speaking in generalities, it is pointless to bring money into the equation. There are always options that can refute even the best laid out statements when it comes to this type of a discussion.

Then there is always the 'fast-n-furious' mentality that has so many infatuated with irresponsible stop light ego trips.[&o] Keep it at the track!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Starting Member

my point is that this guy is on a budget just like most of the rest of us. if the V8 has 300ish hp to begin with (old school mucle cars will have more but well stick to 300) its gonna cost less to get you more. less money and a faster car. and street driving wont be a problem. you can buy vaccum canisters that will give you vaccum for power brakes while youre stopped at a light. as logn as you pick the right cam you wont have any issues as far as idle and still be able to beat imports. the point i made with those last 2 links was that if you dont compare apples to apples ( superstock cars ) and go with the outlaw approach the V8 will win everytime. i have yet to see a import superstock run faster then a domestic.

Quick Reply: supercharged 4.3 or 5.7 swap?