Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

upgrade hp and performance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Starting Member
Acook96 is on a distinguished road
Default upgrade hp and performance.

i am looking to install an intake on my 96 blazer. my local autozone has the k&N filters but dont want to pay 200 dollars. i know i an by the piece that goes on the carb and the filter but will i be able to find the piping that has the hole for the AIT? also let me know if you have suggestions for exhaust 40 series? 44? magnaflow? flowmaster?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

You can make your own CAI kit...all you really need is the filter. You can start with a dry filter from your local autozone for $10 and change. I recommend dropping a few extra dollars for the lifetime oiled filter from K&N...I have 40k on mine, and it still shows red. I had a moment of weakness, and switched to a dry filter...it just isn't the same (and it sounds horrible)

My engine backfired with such intensity that it actually melted the plastic around the neck, at the throttle body. That made my blazer undriveable, for the most part. So, I got creative (had to get to work), and used dryer vent tubing to replace the piece of my intake after the MAF sensor (albeit was a SHORT TERM FIX) As for the holes, take a knife and slowly widdle away, until you can force them in...wham! It worked for a week, until my K&N kit arrived I wish I had pictures...y'all wud be prowd

To make an effective kit yourself, look on eBay! You can get pre-bent tubing that will fit your application on the cheap. The only real job (and I cannot stress this enough) is the heat shield. The performance of the CAI relies on your ability to seal off as much of the engine compartments heat from the filter! Look at K&N's heatshield as a template (I custom made upgrades to mine). It will not be airtight, given, but do your best and reap in the rewards of your killer CAI system! Do not forget the gasket for the top of the heatshield!

...oh, and Magnaflow hands down!!

Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

I agree. DO NOT just but the filter and replace your Air Box with it. I'm almost positive this is why my husbands MAF assembly is shot. The Heat shield is the most important part of the assembly.

It should NEVER look like this. btw its clickable

Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
I agree. DO NOT just but the filter and replace your Air Box with it. I'm almost positive this is why my husbands MAF assembly is shot. The Heat shield is the most important part of the assembly.

It should NEVER look like this. btw its clickable

MORE Pink! More Airhorns!

MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-11635/

This link gives you everything you need to know about making one, look at the photo slide show, very easy to follow. i made one and it works great, i get 3+ mpg better. for that hear shield i pretty much followed that template, but cut out a piece of card board first and see what changes need to be made. i made mine a little longer on the bottom so heat, mud, water couldn't come up from the bottom as easy. also.. GET MANDREL BENT PIPE, doesnt need to be bigger than 3 inches ID because the MAF is only 3 inches ID. I got my Mandrel bent pipe from Mandrel Exhaust Systems - Featuring Mandrel Bends - Catback, Downpipe people there are great and its pretty cheap. just search *3" 45 degree mandrel bent*and get the aluminum.
Hope this helps!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pettyfog
MORE Pink! More Airhorns!

MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!
lol, if it were my truck it would have pink in there... but since its the hubby's I've refrained from doing it lol