Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

V8 Engine Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Beginning Member
Joshuamorrow77 is on a distinguished road
Default V8 Engine Motor Mounts

Okay, I know this has been posted time and time again, but I am looking for a few different answers that I cant seem to find anywhere else, maybe its because I'm asking an inconclusive question, but I'm just no sure. I have everything planned out for my motor swap. Mine unfortunately cracked a head and I've always wanted a v8, perfect opportunity. I already have my headers, motor(chevy 350 carbureted), throttle position sensor kit so the tranny still works, distributor, plugs and wires and all the smaller things lined up, waiting for this next question to be answered before I hit this order button. The main thing, if you haven't noticed, is the motor mounts. How do i know which motor mounts I need? I have absolutely no clue what I'm looking for, and if anyone could point me into the correct direction, I would highly appreciate it.

Last edited by Joshuamorrow77; 06-12-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:14 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Google Jags that Run. They have two pertanant books. Hint: if your blazer came with a carb swap to a carb, if the truck came with injectors swap to injectors. (No excuses about injectors are too difficult, learn your craft.) As I remember the motor mount adapter had about 4.5 in offset. I made a solid left motor mount to better control the torque.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:27 AM
Beginning Member

I appreciate the feedback. I did find which mounts I'm going to use, they're made specifically for what I'm doing. The main reason I went with the carb is 1. I like carbs and 2. I hate electronics, so what better way to merge these two than simply put a carbed motor on. It's actually turning out to be a pretty straightforward process, really the only difficult thing about it so far has been locating parts, but I have all my accessory crap coming in on monday, so I should be finished then

Old 06-13-2015, 03:04 PM

1; You like carbs, A, because you are lazy, which is counter intuitive because you are tackling a project of this magnitude B, you are stuck in the past, and still wear bell bottoms and have a large collection of 8track cassettes. 2;A, you hate injection because you are a rebel and need something to be against. B, your Blazer was made in the late sixties. C, it is painfull to your brain to study a much better system.

All that said, LEARN YOUR CRAFT, become a better gear head. I will help all I can as I have been down this road a couple of times. So get to work. Post pictures or it didnt happen. Dont fear the unknown but learn from it. Most of all have fun in the journey.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Beginning Member

It's funny, the reason I like carbs is because I like carbs. Me being stuck in the past? I'm 18, try again dumbass. So, next time before you want to come on my post to try to grill me let's learn a couple facts about the OP. The reason I'm doing a carb is to stay away from electronics, not because I am lazy, but because I want entire mechanical control, with the exception of the transmission which will be controlled by a throttle position sensor. Go troll somewhere else.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:13 PM

So be it. Have it your way son.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Beginning Member

One more question, can anyone shoot me a link from this site that entails a walkthrough of pulling this blazers engine? I've searched this site up and down and can't find anything with pictures. Honestly the main the I'm stuck on is separating the motor from the transmission. I just don't know where it bolts up to and how to access these bolts. Any input would be great, tha k you

Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

FIRST OFF LETS KEEP IT CLEAN AND FRIENDLY GUYS NO NEED FOR BASHING AND NAME CALLING. THANK YOU!

Your best bet honestly in my opinion would be to pull the front clip and pull the motor and trans together then install the together when its time to put it back together. The bolts on the top of the trans are a nightmare to get at unless you have a body lift. What may seem like a little extra work is probably going to save you a lot of frustration in the long run!

Also don't mind Le he is just one of those if it isn't his way its the wrong way type and he's entitled to voice his opinions as long as he keeps them appropriate! I already have a 5.3 LS motor sitting here with almost everything needed to install into my truck but I am now considering selling it to build a carbed or TB 383 and drop in just for ease of diagnoses and repair on the trail.

Last edited by rexmburns; 06-15-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Beginning Member

I apologize about the name calling, I just thought the insults weren't necessary. Right now I have the flywheel cover (not sure if there's an actual term for this or not) dangling down and can't seem to get it off without either dropping the front axle or removing the two transmission lines. I wish I would have read your post sooner to save from this hassle, but I guess I have to find some way to jiggle it out, any tips?

Old 06-15-2015, 04:52 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Joshuamorrow77
I apologize about the name calling, I just thought the insults weren't necessary. Right now I have the flywheel cover (not sure if there's an actual term for this or not) dangling down and can't seem to get it off without either dropping the front axle or removing the two transmission lines. I wish I would have read your post sooner to save from this hassle, but I guess I have to find some way to jiggle it out, any tips?
Why not just bolt it back up, & go with his suggestion???? Pull it all out as one??? When I installed mine I did it as one piece....now if u really wanna continue with separating it then, I highly suggest u remove the inner fenders......I did this with mine , and you'd be surprised at how much easier it makes things.... Between removing inner fenders , u can also remove the front cab mounts, in addition to the mounts for the core support and jack the cab up about an 1 1/2 inches..... Use a piece of wood wedged between frame rails and body..... This way it makes it much easier, or possible to get to trans bolts and motor mounts.....enjoy as this is a real fun job.......

Quick Reply: V8 Engine Swap Questions