Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

V8 Engine Swap Questions

Old 06-27-2015, 02:18 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Search for "exploded views" of components. They will list the names of each part.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:32 AM
Beginning Member
Joshuamorrow77 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Search for "exploded views" of components. They will list the names of each part.
Thank you so much! If anyone needs to know what I'm talking about, it's the input gear bearing retainer. Now I just need to figure out how the hell to get my hands on one

Old 06-27-2015, 03:48 AM
Beginning Member

Does anyone know if jb weld will work in place of actually welding the hex socket into the screw?

Old 06-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out drivetrain.com for exploded views of pretty much all of these transfer cases. Your '95 most likely has the NV233 transfer case.

Regardless, you should not need to pull that cover nor the input shaft to replace the seal. You either use a seal extractor or drill a small hole & thread in a sheetmetal screw (not a self tapping screw). If you are going to drill a hole, make sure to coat the bit with grease to capture all of the small pieces of metal. Once you have the screw in, you pry/pull on the screw to get the seal out.

As far as the predicament you are in now by breaking off the bolts, I would suggest a left handed drill bit and then some e-z-outs to get the bolt out rather than trying to slot the bolt. You typically need quite a bit more torque than can be applied using a flathead screw driver to get them free.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the input, the bolts aren't broken off, they're just stripped out. I'll go pick up a seal puller, I saw one the other day and didn't even give it a second glance. I have two of the bolts out, and they're not stripped, so I'll just put those back in and pull that seal. Thanks for saving me from a pain in the ***!

Old 06-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member

Well that seal puller idea went to **** the second that tool decided to be made out of the weakest metal I've ever seen. That thing is so mangled now, and the seal isn't even close to coming out, idk what to do at this point other than slot the hex head and use a screw driver socket and a breaker bar

Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My seal puller was sold by John Deere probably 40 years ago and has pulled everything I have ever needed it to. Most seal pullers available today are cheap garbage which is why I mentioned the screw method.

If you are using allen sockets and have a full set of both SAE & metric, you could try forcing in the next larger socket (either SAE or metric) with a hammer to get the stripped bolts out. Doing this would allow you to apply much more torque than you could with a screw driver.