Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1992 s15 GMC jimmy 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
GG_9_SE is on a distinguished road
Default 1992 s15 GMC jimmy 4x4 problems

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, if so mods please move.

Ive searched alot on this, and i believe i have a small vacume issue, but thats not my real problem AFAIK.
When 4x4 does finaly engage after a couple trys. when i go down the road with it, it pulls on itself really bad, and sorta chugs as it goes down the road. After a couple miles or so it stops, and drives decent for awhile then it comes back. Im thinking possibly front drive shaft, or u-joints.

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks Kody.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to Steering, Suspension, & Drivetrain*

Does it feel like the drivetrain is binding up? If so, have any of the axles ever been swapped? Maybe they didn't match up the gear ratios properly?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM

I had the drivers side cv replaced at time of purchase, but it did it on the test drive with the original one in also, or original afaik. how would i go about checking for correct gear ratio for the transfer case, and cv.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 PM

anyone?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With all 4 wheels off the ground, vehicle supported on jack stands to the frame, mark a common spot on each tire (say 6 o'clock). Then engage the 4wd, put it in gear, and count the revolutions of the front and rear tires (making sure that all 4 tires are spinning). You should end up with the same number of revolutions both front and rear.

Another thing to check is that all 4 tires are the same size. If any one tire is off, it will cause the drivetrain to bind when in 4wd.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:24 PM

Alright thanks for the tip. So if the gear ratio is off how do I go about fixing this? I sound like such a noob to 4wd haha. I'm just more use to dodge's,mitsu's. just bought this jimmy as a winter beater so I could park my evo.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Administrator

You would have to get the gear set replaced to match. You could do this in either the front or the rear axle (rear is easier IMO). But check the tires first. That is a more plausible explanation.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Well I checked all my tires and the ******* that had it before me put 2 different size tires on the front. Passenger is a 205/70, and driver side is a 215/70. So I'm guessing this is where my hoping/ pulling going down the road problem is coming from.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

That could do it. It doesn't take much to cause bind.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 AM

well i got all new, and same size tires put on haha. 4x4 works like a dream now. thanks for the help everyone.