Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1999 Blazer Steering Wheel Lock Disable

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 02:15 PM
Beginning Member
mojave.joe is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Blazer Steering Wheel Lock Disable

Hello Blazer Gurus,

I need to disable the steering wheel lock for my 1999 Blazer, 4x4, Auto, 160K. It is my TOAD vehicle, yes I have a driveline disconnect. Last trip I the wheel locked, on its own, in a turn and it ended up costing me a tire.

While diagnosing the key lock I was able to make it lock. I can't afford to damage tires again. I want to disable the steering wheel lock forever while maintaining the key start. It used to be much easier, I did it years ago... can this still be done?

Last edited by mojave.joe; 04-27-2022 at 03:47 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:56 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

There's a lock ring behind the clockspring. You can remove it, cut or grind the locking "teeth" off of it, and put it back on. I think that would probably be the easiest and most effective way.

Old 04-30-2022, 02:58 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

wait, its possible for the Wheel lock system to fail in such a way as to lockup while driving??

Old 04-30-2022, 05:13 PM
Beginning Member
mojave.joe is on a distinguished road
Default Not Exactly…

Originally Posted by Mods
wait, its possible for the Wheel lock system to fail in such a way as to lockup while driving??

I was flat towing my rig. To do this the steering has to be unlocked without power. There are four key positions, not counting backwards for radio only. They are: off or locked, unlocked without power, unlocked with power, and finally start.

I had the key in position 2 unlocked without power, and at some point it locked in a turn and destroyed the tire. This is beyond unlikely if you are driving because the key will be in position 3 by default. Don’t sweat it. However if you frequently flat tow your rig I would immediately disable the steering lock.

I disabled my steering lock, it was a piece of cake. Editing a video right now.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:45 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mojave.joe
I was flat towing my rig. To do this the steering has to be unlocked without power. There are four key positions, not counting backwards for radio only. They are: off or locked, unlocked without power, unlocked with power, and finally start.

I had the key in position 2 unlocked without power, and at some point it locked in a turn and destroyed the tire. This is beyond unlikely if you are driving because the key will be in position 3 by default. Don’t sweat it. However if you frequently flat tow your rig I would immediately disable the steering lock.

I disabled my steering lock, it was a piece of cake. Editing a video right now.
By flat tow im guessing you mean rear wheels on the forks and fronts on the ground? since your rig is 4WD thats not very good for the Transfer case/Front axle, from what i hear anyways, unless you put the transfer case in neutral then its definitely fine.

edit: just noticed driveline disconnect, guessing she's probably fine then lol.

on topic - definitely want to see that video, unless the RUN position mechanically blocks the lockout system i may disable it aswell

Last edited by Mods; 05-06-2022 at 06:47 PM.