Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2wd lower ball joint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 PM
fletch125 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2wd lower ball joint question

So last year I had a buddy do my lower ball joints while I was out of town(didn't have time to do them myself) and now I need to replace them again(duralast parts suck). Since they're pressed in I know I'll need a press but I'm curious to know if anyone has a shortcut or any tips on how to do them without removing everything else. I just replaced both uppers a month ago and don't want to remove them along with the knuckle, hub, caliper etc if I don't have to. Its rwd so luckily I don't have a axle shaft to deal with. Is removing the caliper and knuckle mandatory or can I just loosen the upper castle nut and move it out of the way. I have to replace the tie rods and center link anyways but i have to save that for another day since this is my DD. Thanks guys

Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have an 89 S15 Jimmy 2WD and at min you have to disconnect the Steering Knuckle from the lower ball joint and from the tie rod end. This way you can turn the knuckle out of your way. If you do not have a ball joint press you can get one from Auto Zones loan a tool. You pay for the tool but get all your money back when your finished. I cannot remember if the lower shock mount is going to be in your way. Hopefully you have an impact wrench available.