Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 engage issue (not a vacuum issue)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member
PtownBubba is on a distinguished road

Called nearby Chevy Shop,,,,,,,,,, ordered gear,,,, 102$ for just the gear, but that is all I really needed ,,,, kit was 60$,,, but worthless since it will not fit,,, so it is going back. Still having some tell that even if it is a tight fit, the gear will work,, mechanically,,,,,, it almost looks like a tight gear is no big deal,,,,unless as mentioned the setup needs a some wiggle room when engaging,,,, ?????

Like Grandpa always said,,,,,,,," maybe there ain't nuthin' wrong, but somethin' ain't right".

Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member
PtownBubba is on a distinguished road

I got this note from Dorman. I have already returned the kit, and got a gear from the Chevy Shop. It appears I was just un-lucky with the kit I got,,, Dorman was aware of a tight gear kit,,, just not very many I guess,, maybe all the tight kits have been discovered now ?????

Hello Greg,

My name is Chris Lehn with Dorman Products. I was asked to follow up with you regarding our 600-561 front differential gear kit. We have heard of some tight tolerance concerns with his kit and have begun making some changes, but the fitment concern is generally pretty few and far between. The communication I received stated that you pressed this gear on. Is it still in place or was it too tight to properly fir and function? If you need a replacement, I would be happy to send you a kit or 2 to try to see if you have any better luck. If you would like me to do so, just shoot me an email with your address and I’ll get them sent out to you.

Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience.

Chris Lehn
Dorman Products
Product Manager/Tech Services

Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 PM
timk42969 is on a distinguished road
Default It's a bitch!

Originally Posted by PtownBubba
First let me say Thank you for all the help here,,,,,,,I was getting pretty down in the dumps,,,,, I have the axle assembly removed again , and will take a break,,, and do a parts search later,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thank you again, for your hints and tips,,,,
I totally understand your frustration man, I had to step away for a bit too. I noticed the last question you asked went kinda unanswered. I am theorizing here but knowing a little about gears and drives and such from my job, I know how important clearances are for steel parts. Heat expands hard parts as you know. Now if that axle expands more or faster than that gear, then boom. I'm pretty sure that gear is probably cast steel. I guess I got lucky with mine sliding on, may have been an older (or newer) manf date. Good luck again!