Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

93 S10 blazer 4x4 wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:10 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

From what it looks like I would say that the transfer case is not engaging.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Beginning Member
mikes93s10blazer is on a distinguished road
Question

So does that mean I have a broken T-case? I HAVE looked through many of the 4x4 problem post, Ive gone through 20 pages so far and no one has the same problem. I'm not looking for a battle, I'm looking for an answer. Sorry if I offended you

Well, after looking through all 80 pages of tech help for Gen I S10 Blazers, and clicking on everything that has 4x4 in the title, I still am at a loss. I have a 1993 S10 Blazer 4x4 4.3 Vortec with the floor shifter T-case. I think the T-case might be bad, When I crank her up and put her in 4hi and check the front driveshaft it spins with the tranny in Park.

Does this mean my T-case is trashed?
Or is it something else?

Thanks for any and all help

Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

So it doesn't do this in the other gears, correct?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

What do you mean?
When it's in Park the rear wheels lock up, shouldn't the front lock up as well if the T-case is working, and it's in 4x4?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by mikes93s10blazer
What do you mean?
When it's in Park the rear wheels lock up, shouldn't the front lock up as well if the T-case is working, and it's in 4x4?

Both 4hi and 4lo? is what I think e meant....If not still a valid question.

I might be wrong about this idea but have you jacked up the front and engaged the four wheel and just spun one front tire? I would imagine you could immobilize the front drive shaft and see if the front diff is even locking.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, same story for 4hi and 4lo, front driveshaft spins freely.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 PM

doesn't sound good to me. But maybe I'm just a doomsday'r. you may have to drop the T-case and do some exploring on the internals.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member
Question

Originally Posted by oisinirish
I might be wrong about this idea but have you jacked up the front and engaged the four wheel and just spun one front tire? I would imagine you could immobilize the front drive shaft and see if the front diff is even locking.
No, but if the driveshaft spins when in park, doesnt that mean that there is a problem with the T-case?

Thats what I'm thinking I heard that the chain sometimes snap. Maybe someone drove down the road with it in 4hi?

Am I screwed?
Anyone else?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have the NP231 transfer case. A quick google search for NP231 manual will turn up a wealth of information.

You could have a problem with either the chain or the shift sector shaft. YOU really will not know until YOU get the transfer case down and YOU open it up. Nothing that us lazy responders in your time of crisis can do for you.

Here are a few links:
Jeep NP231 Service Manual (covers the broad strokes of the rebuild process)
NP231 Rebuild - Jeeps-Offroad.com (a quick partially illustrated rebuild of the NP231 transfer case)
NP231 Parts - Drivetrain.com

Please do not PM for tech help. That defeats the purpose of an open forum. Also, please bring yourself up to speed with the rules of the forum.

Good day and good luck.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Beginning Member

Someone has quite an attitude! I'm tired of trying to appologize for something that was taken out of context. I NEVER called anyone lazy. Delete my profile or block me, what ever you want to do. But you can go **** yourself, stupid ****in New Yorker. Y'all really are a class of your own. **** ******

Quick Reply: 93 S10 blazer 4x4 wont engage