Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

95 Jimmy before and after torsion bar adustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM
MushMy4.3 is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Jimmy before and after torsion bar adustment

So today i decided to mess around with my torsion bars on my 95 jimmy and see if i could get it to sit a little more level, the front seemed to sag a little. Once i get the money and time for it i plan on adding 2" shackles in the back and tighten the t-bars some more but here is the before and after pictures after turning the bolts 4 times which is roughly and inch of lift. Let me know what you think about how it sits, thanks!

Before- 2.jpg

After- 3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails 95 Jimmy before and after torsion bar adustment-2.jpg   95 Jimmy before and after torsion bar adustment-3.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

You have more clearence but at what cost? I mean cranking the T bars only adds more stress to the front end IE: hubs, ball joints etc. I've done it & loved the look (for cheap). But in the long run (unless you work for an auto parts supply house & can wrench in a capable way) it's not worth it IMO.
Only 1" for a tbar crank & some will say 1.5", but really, look at the angles of the cv boots to shaft in relation. That can't be good.
Adding shackles, t bar twists are a bandage for something that's going to be an issue down the road, as it were, unless it's part of a suspension lift (SL).
My SL came with shackles for the rear & our blazers have an issue with a saggy rear (I'd like to pause for a moment & thank my gf for not having the same issue) lol

But in all seriousnes your ride looks good, really nice.... but you should keep in mind that the issues you 'corrected' with the shackles & t bar twist are only premature to replacing parts on a '95.
That could be new rear leafs, add-a-leaf or upgrading to a full size p/u leaf spring pack. The front might be new t bars or keys, shocks.
Just my thoughts & not of my gf's not saggy rear.
She'll thank me lol "yes Dear!"

Oh yeah, if you mess with torsion bars, make sure you get an alignment!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Yea i can see your point, i have done a lot of research of cranking up the torsion bars and the effects on the front end. I have read that people have cranked there t-bars up all the way with almost no problems or change in wear time and others say they go through ball joint and cv's, but that is why i only adjusted them up an inch and am getting an alignment later this week. This is also just temporary until i get a 2.5" rough country SL which comes with the diff drop brackets and new a-arms to minimize front end wear. The lift also come with 2" lift shackles for the rear and i was thinking of buying a add a leaf so there isn't and sag when i'm carry a load in the back or have a lot of people in the truck, but i don't know how much that will affect how smooth the ride is, i have heard it gets real stiff. My overall plan for the truck is to put a 2" body lift on after the suspension lift so i can clear 32's on soft 8's but ive also heard that changing the backspacing of the rims isnt go for the front end and may cause extra rubbing, im not sure of the backspacing on the soft 8's, but i have seen a lot of blazers and jimmys with them so im gessing the BS is close the same as stock rims.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

When you order the RC 2.5" SL make sure to ask them if the specific kit you're getting has the updated upper ball joints! They had a bunch that were crap & would be toast inside of 500 miles. Sure you can call or email them & tell them yours are gone after only a couple months & they'll replace them, but then why would you want to go through replacing them?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Oh wow i didn't know about that, i will definetly give them a call before i order, thanks for the heads up!