Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

96 blazer transfer case fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Question 96 blazer transfer case fluid question

well i was reading that im supposed to fill her up with Dexron III, just wanna be sure before i fill her with the wrong crap. Oh and anyone know the full capacity i dont wanna be a quart short or anything when i go to fill her up. and also does anyone know what tip i need to remove the drain and filler bolts on the case a t50 or a? not so sure on that part, thanks ahead of time for your help guys

Last edited by LowLife; 12-02-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Same stuff you put in the transmission for the NV233 (3-button) transfer case.

Should be just over 1qt so have two on hand.

The drain & fill plugs are not torx, but they are allen head. I can't remember the size though.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Starting Member
Wink

Thanks swart, You always come thru in the clutch . But now i have been runnin b&m trick shift "the blue stuff" in my blazer & jimmy....should i use that, Or should i go with the Dexron III like they called for, Also would a little lucas be good for it since the capacity is just over 1qt maybe like a 1/4th of a qt of the lucas, Sorry for the 21 questions brother, But in pa the snow is comin and i dont wanna be left out in the cold if you know what i mean. Oh and by the way i wanted to let you know i pulled the upper intake off last night to change my oil pressure sensor, And switched the stock injector bracket over to the mpfi bracket while i was in there since it was recommended by you, I figured for $31 bucks it would be worth it just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by LowLife; 12-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It really doesn't matter so long as it meets the Dexron III or higher requirements.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Starting Member

Alright thanks for the help, Im gonna go get that takin care of today

Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Starting Member

Well i drained out my old transfer case fluid today, The drain plugs are a 30mm head bolt for the drain & filler plugs. My old fluid was black, I used a hand oiler pump to spray in the new fluid since there is no chance of ever using a funnel or hose or bottle buddy or anything else i could come up with. Just thought this post my be informative to anyone looking to change there transfer case fluid as well. Oh and i used valvoline dexron iii high mile atf.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

how often should this fluid be changed?

any diagram showing how/where to drain and replace?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Depends.. Check your owners manual for direction on service intervals.

Just look on the back of the transfer case. You will see two plugs positioned almost directly above/below each other.