Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

ABS and P-brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007 | 04:16 PM
|
bitbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS and P-brake lights

seems kind of random but my parking brake and ABS light will just come on and the go away. the SES light does not come on or anything, all the pads are less than a month old, including the parking brake shoes (those were not cheap).
the brake fluid is topped off.
i never use the parking brake, only time it was used was for the safety inspection.
i have checked everything i can think of, anyone have any thoughts on what to check to see what is causing this ?

Old 12-04-2007 | 07:22 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ABS and P-brake lights

get the codes read. Might just need to be reset since the brake job.

Old 12-04-2007 | 07:27 PM
|

There are no codes to be read.

Old 12-04-2007 | 07:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A generic OBD2 code reader cannot access the EBCM (electronic brake control module). Only a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool can access the ABS codes. If your light is on, there is a fault in the system that has been detected and a code has been set.

One of the most common reasons for an ABS light is a dirty wheel speed sensor. The other common problem is a cut speed sensor wire at one of the front wheels. Sometimes the wiring can get pinched. I would inspect the wiring and remove the front wheel speed sensors if you can and clean the reluctor ring on the front axle if you find dirt or other debris in the grooves.

Old 12-04-2007 | 07:48 PM
|

two questions about what you said swart
would the codes stay in there when the lights are off ? (they come on and off randomly)
would the dirty sensor cause the randomness ?
i am starting to think from what you said it might be my wire, since it is random, bums turning and what not could make a faulty wire act up.
i will check the wires and sensor this week.
would teh scanner Autozone use just be a OBDII scanner? or would it pick up on said other codes ?
anything else to check while i am in that area?

Old 12-05-2007 | 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your brake/e-brake switch needs to be adjusted.

Old 12-06-2007 | 09:00 AM
|

is the parking brake switch going to be located by the parking brake pedal, like it is with most of the hand operated parking brakes?