Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Actuator cable 2000 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member
razman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Actuator cable 2000 blazer

No 4 wheel. Vacuum actuator under battery works. I determined that by disconnecting the cable from the actuator. The actuator pulls when disconnected from the cable. The cable won't pull at all. I tried pulling manually. No go. The cable goes to the front differential (right?). What's my next step? Thanks.

This section and others: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e_frt_axle.gif mention that the cable can be removed and worked to determine if it is sticking or not. Do I just put a wrench to the differential end? How is the differential end connected to the differential. I guess what I am asking is how do you remove the cable to check for binding?

Now, if it's binding, I know what to do. What if it is not binding? What is my next step?

Last edited by razman; 04-08-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member
Default Anyone have front differential experience 2000 Blazer?

2000 Blazer, with no 4 wheel. Vacuum actuator under battery works. The actuator pulls when disconnected from the cable. The cable won't pull at all. I tried pulling manually. No go.

Is the cable removable from the exterior of the differential for testing?

If I remove the side plate on the front differential, will I lose all my gear lube?

This is my only vehicle in Arizona, and I need to know what's going to happen before I start removing things. Yeah... I need to take it apart. Figure out what I need. Put it together, then take it apart again. Bizarre, I know, but that's how it is.

Anyone recommend a service manual?

Thanks, Rich

Old 04-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Only one thread is needed. A simple bump would have sufficed. And while it may be time consuming to search the forum, many of your questions have been answered in other threads.

There is a housing at the front differential where the cable enters. Three bolts hold it on. Remove the housing to expose the cable attachment inside, a spring clip. Disconnect the cable and remove it. Now you can see if you can get the cable to move. You can also test the shift fork inside the front diff for movement at the same time.

You shouldn't loose much diff lube (if any) when you remove the cable mount housing.

As far as a good manual goes, my only recommendation is a Factory Service Manual. Pricey, but worth the extra cost.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Beginning Member
Default Thanks... and...

> Only one thread is needed. A simple bump would have sufficed.

My post had no answers and was sinking lower into the forum daily. I did not know (still don't) about a "bump." If you have a minute, what is and how do I accomplish a "bump."

> And while it may be time consuming to search the forum, many of your questions have been answered in other threads.

I searched my butt off. I can make no rhyme or reason on how the search function works. Whether I do a search with a few keywords or many, the results seem to be not at all related to my keywords... and I'm in the computer industry! I tried. I hate to bother people with questions. The search results provided a diagram here or a comment there, but not so much.

>There is a housing at the front differential where the cable enters.
>Three bolts hold it on.

See the attached jpg file. On my 2000, the cable enters and is secured by a single nut around the cable. The differential side plate has three or five bolts. I can't tell if the bolts secure separate plates. It all looks pretty low on the differential, which is why I thought I would lose the gear lube.

>As far as a good manual goes, my only recommendation is a Factory Service Manual.

Thank you. I think I saw a factory manual for about $150.

Thank you for your reply. Rich

Attached Thumbnails Actuator cable 2000 blazer-2000_differential.jpg  

Last edited by razman; 04-15-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have waited at least 24 hours, you can 'bump' a post by simply replying to it.

I am not sure what keywords you are using, but that is a moot point now isn't it... A quick review of the SEARCH Guidelines thread should provide some insight into the search function. It can be quite accurate if you use it properly.

The lower 3 bolts will remove the housing that the cable attaches to. That one large nut is used to affix the cable jacket to the housing. You can plainly see what I am talking about in the picture you provided.

Any fluid that you may loose can be refilled through the fill port on the other side of the diff. Regular 80w90 (or 75w90 synthetic if you prefer) is used.