Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Another 4WD issue.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
AdamDeWitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another 4WD issue.....

Hey guys! Names Adam and ive been lurking on this board for some time now and have always found an answer by searching the posts so ive never had to ask .....until now.

I drive a 2000 4 door with the 3 button switch on the dash.
No idea which transfer case is in it.

The problem is, it wont disengage and go back into 2WD. When i bought the truck the guy said it was stuck in 4hi ( which it wasnt but it did have a dead battery, it Did that make it disengage then?). He had taken the front drive shaft out and i just recently put it back in. Didn't need it till now cause i rarely drove the truck.

After i put the drive shaft back in i tested it in the driveway, went into 4hi right, went into 4 low right the back to 4hi but now it just wont go back into 2wd.

I can hear the clicking at the passenger side kick panel and i can hear the transfer case motor working and the lights are flashing between 2hi and 4hi. I checked the TCCM and harness for corrosion and there is no signs of any. There are no service lights on or anything.

So my question is what do you guys suggest doing next, i don't want to waste a lot of time on it , should i just change out the vacuum switch on the transfer case (which seems to be the most common problem that ive read), read the codes (someone will have to give me a quick reminder on which pin to ground and the best way or place to ground it). Or should i start chasing vacuum lines?

Oh i forgot to mention that i'm mechanically disabled and know nothing about trucks. LOL

AND THIS FORUM ROCKS ! So much usefull info on here.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It likely is a problem inside the transfer case encoder motor. My uncle's S10 had the exact same symptoms and it ended up being stripped gears inside the encoder motor. I posted pictures a while ago. THIS POST has a picture. I have more somewhere, but can't get to them at work.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM

WOW that was a fast reply! its dark out now so i will check that out tomorrow when i get some light. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted

Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM

random question, i wanted to check the actuator under the battery tray just to make sure it was working right. and guess what! its not under there, where else could they be?