Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bilstein Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Bilstein Shock Absorbers

RockAuto.com lists AC Delco shocks, many of which are made by Bilstein.

The OEM number for the shocks you need used to be 22124809. At this point in time I do not see this exact number on any of the parts websites, nor do they list a replacement. You'd need to check with your chevy dealership for a proper PN...

Might I ask why you are going through so much trouble to put on OEM shocks? There are better alternatives out there...

Old 11-21-2007, 06:41 PM
cain_45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing better than Bilstein!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. I know they are good shocks, but I wouldn't say that nothing is better because I know that to be untrue. All depends on what you are looking for. They're definitely expensive, I'll give ya that.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Sundevildaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Now, I've not normally been one to 'pick' brands.. I research them out, no matter what I am buying, each year there are several new makes, models and companies introduced to the market for near anything you may be shopping for.. Bilstein has built a reputation of being a quality 'all around - any general road' shock absorber.. but, as with all products (and even people) theres always someone bigger, badder, better.
This is a quote from Motor Trend, not, in my opinion, the brightest mechanics or auto reviewers on the road.. but.. they sum it up nicely..
"...........When it's time to replace your shocks, should you go for original equipment or aftermarket? Depends. Many enthusiasts take the opportunity to upgrade with quality replacements from the likes of Koni, Bilstein, and Tokico. Often intended for spirited driving, they may be firmer in their action and built to last longer. They can also include some adjustability (at right, Koni's internally adjustable classic), enabling the owner to tailor the shocks' feel. If a goal is maximum car control, the aftermarket selection is unbeatable. Want to maintain that factory-fresh ride? Sticking with original equipment is probably your best bet. Designed to work in a wide variety of driving situations, the stock shock[/b] or its equivalent is a safe pick. Either way, don't take chances with your[/b]shock absorbers. When they fail, they can cost you more than just money. ....."

Though Bilstein is mentioned in this article, please keep in mind this is only one small sampler of the aftermarkets available. For my wifes Blazer (a Touring edition meant for MILD campground trails and highway/street) I use the OEM replacements.. for their intended purpose, they work the best for me.. For my other Blazer and my service vehicles (I have a business with a small fleet of standard pickups meant for towing.. /.. people don't generally like me.. you do the math ), I lean more to the Mageba, Ace, Dictator and Enidine lines.. keep in mind, these are Industrial Grade, Severe Duty manufacturers, they may not offer the most comfortable, cushy ride, but they do their job with precision and last, in my opinion, near double the lifetime of a Top Grade shock absorber (and that's under the conditions I use them with). Also keep in mind that they may also give you the case of 'sticker shock' and you will need to order them with specifications, not part numbers (i.e. piston travel, cylinder tolerance, max extension/retraction, bolt size, pressure, etc) all of which can be obtained from either searching online, SOME dealership parts departments and shops, suspension retailers and manufacturers.

For your specific Inquiry.. Here is the official Bilstein Applications Guide giving you the specific Bilstein part number for your application
http://www.bilstein.com/303truckssuvs.pdf

I hope it helps.. tc

Old 11-23-2007, 07:21 AM

What's better than Bilstein? I have the ZQ8 sport pack and IMHO they are the best. These are used on Trans Am, Z28, Corvette etc.

Thank you sundevil for that article and the link!!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 AM
03RedBLazerXtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

try this place on EBAY..
this is a link to an auction for bilstein shocks
@ S10Warehouse
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTREM...mZ320185663990

Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

Ima Bilstein Believer.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

so am i.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:16 PM

I like 'em too. Hey red that link is for Xtreme bilsteins. Mine is not a lowered suspension so they won't work.