Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Body lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 05:46 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road
Default Body lift questions

I want to do a super mild 2 inch lift, what all needs to be done to accommodate this? My truck has full length factory running boards, stock everything pretty much, would i have to extend any harnesses, Radiator hoses, Transmission/Engine Oil Cooler lines, etc?

Old 11-10-2021, 08:54 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

I did the performance accessories BL on my 05 2dr a bit ago and it has been going well since I installed it. I needed to extend the fuel filler neck, oddly enough the tubing supplied in the kit was far too big so I needed to source the correct size for that. I also had to extend some ground cables but the kit came with the brackets for that. In addition, it comes with drop brackets to drop the oil filter housing. It also comes with the stuff to lift the front and rear bumpers so they don't look funny. It should be pretty straightforward if you get the performance accessories kit, it comes with all the brackets etc that you will need. I would recommend you get new body mounts at the same time too.

Old 11-15-2021, 11:30 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I've installed both the PA kit as well as the Zone Offroad kit, and both came with all the parts necessary to do the lift. All you'll need is some normal tools and a jack. One thing I ran into with the kits is that the ground strap extenders is that they come painted. To ensure that I get a solid ground I either stripped the paint off before bolting them on and then repainting, or just replacing the ground wire with a proper length.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:25 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I bought the pucks from Zone Offroad and sourced the bolts locally. I was building my own bumpers, so I didn't need bumper brackets. Basically, I just jacked it up slowly and watched for binding, then extended/relocated whatever was hanging up. I've never been a fan of any radiator shroud "solutions" I've seen, so I went with Intrepid electric fans. I don't remember my filler hose having to be extended, but it's been a while since I did it.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:57 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
I've installed both the PA kit as well as the Zone Offroad kit, and both came with all the parts necessary to do the lift. All you'll need is some normal tools and a jack. One thing I ran into with the kits is that the ground strap extenders is that they come painted. To ensure that I get a solid ground I either stripped the paint off before bolting them on and then repainting, or just replacing the ground wire with a proper length.
What ground straps specifically need lengthening, since we both have 4 doors - did you have to extend the fuel filler hoses at the tank and unbolt the metal hoses? any weird steering shaft issues, and how was the lineup with the lower valence for the towhooks?

Old 11-16-2021, 10:52 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mods
What ground straps specifically need lengthening, since we both have 4 doors - did you have to extend the fuel filler hoses at the tank and unbolt the metal hoses? any weird steering shaft issues, and how was the lineup with the lower valence for the towhooks?
The PA kit I installed on my Blazer was almost 10 years ago, and the Zone Offroad kit on my Sonoma was 5 years ago, but I'll do my best to remember the details you're looking for.
  • Ground straps that had extended (as far as I remember) were the engine block to the body, and frame to the battery. If you do the big electrical upgrade wires, you can address these without the extender brackets.
  • Fuel filler hose on the 96 Blazer did not need extended, but the one on my 2002 Sonoma did, but just barely. On the Sonoma the extension of the filler hose was at the neck, where I had to separate the filler neck from the flex hose, and add in an extension.
  • I had no steering issues with either truck. I don't remember if the instructions called for any steering adjustments, but it was super easy if they did.
  • With the bumper moving upwards puts the lower valence directly across the opening where the factory tow hooks exit. This didn't bother me because I have replaced my factory tow hooks with the hooks from a 3/4 ton Chevy which have the same bolt pattern but are WAY heavier, and the hooks sit below the frame rather than inside the frame, so these hooks sit below the factory bumper once it is raised. To install them I did have to open the factory tow hook bolt holes slightly to accommodate the heavier bolts.