Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Starting Member
rblbndt76 is on a distinguished road
Angry Brake problem

I have a 98 Chevy Blazer and just replaced the rear main line to the rear disc, and then found another leak in the front and replaced it also. After replacing them and bleeding them for about 2 hours i am still dealing with a lot of pedal travel and it at my wits end with it. If there is anybody that could give some pointers that would be great.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Beginning Member
cctcct67 is on a distinguished road

First I would check all my new fittings ,lines and search for dripping fluid or sign of leaking threw out all lines(sure you probably did). Did you run reservoir dry? You may have to bleed reservoir of air it may have also gone bad you can pull vacuum line off brake booster, if wet its bad for sure. Is it actually shooting fluid when your bleeding the lines? If you hear air from a certain bleeder check that line.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Could be the master cylinder. Could be that you did not bleed it enough after replacing those lines, like said, how far did the fluid make it down

Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

**Moved to Steering, Suspension, and Drivetrain**

Old 12-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rblbndt76
I have a 98 Chevy Blazer and just replaced the rear main line to the rear disc, and then found another leak in the front and replaced it also. After replacing them and bleeding them for about 2 hours i am still dealing with a lot of pedal travel and it at my wits end with it. If there is anybody that could give some pointers that would be great.
It sounds like you have an air lock. Did the master cylinder go dry at anytime? Can you pump the pedal and build it up?

First thing to do is top the master cylinder up and gently tap the brake pedal. Don't push it down, just tap it with 1/2 an inch or so of pedal travel. If there's air in the lines inside the master cylinder, they will jiggle and bubble out. DO NOT stomp the pedal. It will cause highly corrosive brake fluid to blow up and out.

If you aren't using a bottle to flush the system, try it. Get several feet of tubing that will fit snugly over the opening of the bleeder. Run it down to a half full bottle of brake fluid. It like YooHoo bottles. They are clear (easy to see through) glass (isn't affected by brake fluid) and you have to drink the YooHoo to get a fresh bottle to rinse and use (Yum!). Open the bleeder and gently pump the brake pedal to the floor and let it up gently. This allows the air out while not letting more in. Keep the master cylinder full and drain the used fluid when it fills the bottle up. Bleed all four wheels. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the atmosphere. Fully flushing it will give you a solid pedal and brakes less prone to fading under heavy use.