Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

brakes acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 PM
mogley99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default brakes acting funny

need help guys. i got new pads put on a week ago, they worked fine for a while but lately they havent. it snowed the other day and when i went to stop the pedalwas really hard to press and noise was coming from what sounded down by the pedal? next few days the weather was dry they worked fine. today, a wet snow and again its happening at every stop sign, they work right up to when im about tocome to a completestop, im talking about maybe 2 miles per hour and then the pressure on the pedal gets hard and then like a grrr sound comes down by the pedal. my abs light has been on since right before i got the brakes done, i was told when the light came on it was no big deal not to worry about it so i didnt. now im starting to wonder. any help is appreciated. thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: brakes acting funny

Sounds like a sensor isn't sending info where it needs to go. Maybe you crimped a wire, or the actual sensor got some brake dust in it.

Somehow my wheel speed sensor wire (pretty sure that's what my mechanic Brother called it) got severed which caused my ABS light to come on. If the computer doesn't get all the info it needs, it thinks one wheel (or possibly all in your case) is moving at different speeds and automatically applies the anti-lock feature.

Dory would be the person to talk to about what happens if it's not addressed QUICKLY!

Also, these threads point to the same culprit:

https://blazerforum.com/m_64891/tm.htm
https://blazerforum.com/m_72202/tm.htm

And I would quit taking advice from the person who told you it was no big deal.

It looks like you knew what was going on beforehand, get on it!!! Sounds like I'm being a jerk, but it would be horrible to hear about an accident, maybe even a fatal one over a simple fix.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:47 PM

thanks for the advice, im gonna get them checked. why do they work when its not wet out, it seems if the abs is comig on wouldnt this be happening all the time? i dont think your being a jerk at all, just good sound advice. thanks alot.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I know some of the more knowledgeable members would be able to tell you about them working fine when it's not wet, but my best guess would be condensation/moisture getting into a sensor while it's raining/wet. Like I said-best guess. What I do know is that it's a scary situation when you apply the brake pedal and the vehicle keeps going. God forbid you're at a crosswalk or something and end up hitting a kid!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

this might be way offf in far left field but is there any way you got air in thebrake lines? thats the first and, to tell the truth, only thing that occured to me.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:22 PM

how do you get air in the brake lines? havent done anything other than get brakes done.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:57 PM
b928 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is another idea with out looking at the brakes or your system. Besides the sensor that was stated before, did you have your rotors turned when you did your brakes... you could have a warp rotor, which when you go and put your brakes on there could be a bit of snow on your rotors that is causing your brakes not grab fully. Also did you check your rear brakes and adjust them properly?? As far as air or air bubbles in the lines that is a slim chance unless you opened up your lines. That is easy to get the air out of your lines..... also have your ABS sensor checked out.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:14 PM

well i went out to check the lines.the line from the wheel, about afoot up has been pinched, just hanging on. it is below where it conects or plugs in i dont know how to say it but it doesnt seem to be to big of a job or to much money to fix is it. any help is apreciated

Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I gather your talking about the rubber brake hose is pinched. No doubt who ever replaced the pads flipped the caliper over one turn (by accident) before reinstalling it to the caliper bracket. Take if off, and flip it back teh other way. Or have the shop you paid do the brakes fix it.

On a side note. Never let the ABS system go. The light is on to tell you the system has been deacivated. It has been deactivated becuase there is a problem in the system and it did not pass the start up test. Everytime you start up your truck it goes through a self diagnostic test, all the lights on the dash come on. As they pass the test the light goes off. If the light dont go off, you have a problem. Short of hitting you in the head and yelling wake up stupid, its the onlything GM cna do to warn you. Get it fixed by a different shop. In my book they already made two mistakes, telling you its fine, and putting a kink in hte brake line. Do you want to see what the damage will be from teh third strike?