Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bravada Smart Trac

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Jimmy_Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Bravada Smart Trac

Is it possible to make the auto smart trac system in a bravada, manual? Like in a Jimmy ot Blazer?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Manual in what respect? Able to switch from 4WD to 2WD? Nope. One of the "features" of a Bravada, is that it only has a single speed transfer case, and it is always in 4WD. The right front axle is constantly engaged with the front differential, which makes it live at all times, causing it to wear faster, and consume more fuel.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-22-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:36 AM

the transfercase is always engauged? Well the front differential blew out on it and will need a new one, could I get one from a jimmy or blazer that is cable actuated and control it like that?

Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

As far as I know, the entire front differential from a non ZR2 Blazer, Jimmy, or pickup, will bolt right in. You need to be certain the axle ratio is the same. There may be a difference in the yoke, so check that out too. If you swap the right axle tube and axle from the Bravada, on to the new differential, no other modifications would be necessary, and it should operate properly. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will chime in.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:12 PM

Right, I know the axle tube is different as it keeps the front differential always locked unlike an actuated one, but I'd like to control the awd myself by keeping the other axle tube on it with the actuator. I read some info about the transfer case too, saying that the tcase motor and/or clutches go bad keeping it in awd all the time, so I'll have to look into that too. Would like to wire it somehow to a toggle switch or something so that I can make it manual 4x4. Oh, and since the diff siezed up, it wont move at all, took the fuse for the tcase out and now it moves (hardly, but still) so i'm not sure whats keeping it in awd.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:28 PM

One of our members, (rexmburns) does a fine job of explaining how he modified his front axle, simple, and substantial: https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...r-build-66048/

As for the NV136 transfer case issues: If the clutch pack or encoder motor fail, it is possible for the transfer case to remain fully engaged, dividing power 50/50. The front differential is "live" all the time, which means the front driveshaft will rotate when the vehicle is in motion, (necessary on all "shift on the fly" and "Smatrak" 4WD systems). The shaft will either be powered by the transfer case, or driven by the front differential.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-21-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Yes I've been following rexmburns post for a while now and did the axle shift cable mod on my blazer. Yes I read up on the clutch pack and encoder motor, I'm just not sure which would be the problem.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:07 PM

It would require a scan tool capable of accessing transfer case data to diagnose it.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Alright, what would I have to look for while scanning?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:49 AM

You will need a bidirectional scan tool to access transfer case data. The el cheapo $500 scan tools will not access what you need to check. Different scan tool manufacturers will allow access to different levels of data streams, and provide various functional tests. Ebay usually has decent used ones starting around $2k. Your option is to have a shop do the diagnostic work for you.

Quick Reply: Bravada Smart Trac