Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

broken bolt head on shock...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
wraithklewn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default broken bolt head on shock...help!

hey all. im lookin for a pointer or two on this...i am in the process on changin the shocks on my 94 blazer 4x4. i broke the bolt head on the bottom bolt for the shock....front wheeldriver side. the way the boltsare shaped i cant take it out by pushin it through. i ground down the bolthead side downflat and have been drilling through trying to get to the other end. ive been at it for 2 days now ( cuz of day job and 2 hrs of daylight to work with) and am maybe half way done. keep dulling drill bits trying even with oiling them and taking breaks to cool them.im gettin tired of it. dont wanna go to a garage or have access to any kind of torches. im hoping that maybe someone has some good ideas i can try out. any replies i give ya thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: broken bolt head on shock...help!

Did you get that shock completely out of the truck yet? If i`m correct the bolts normally screw into clips that are hooked to the actual control arm.. even if the other side snaps also you can get those replacement clips and bolts at an auto store... if you have a prybar you may be able to pry them out once you get the shock completely out of the way..

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
wraithklewn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: broken bolt head on shock...help!

no the shock is still there. top bolt is off. the clip on the control arm is fine itself too.. what happened is the bolt itself.. head snapped off and the rest of the bolt is stuck inside throught the clip keeping me from gettin the shock out. [:@]why do they make those bolts funny shaped like that if it was the same thickness as the threaded part i coulda pulled it out from the side with the nut on it and have no problems

Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Beginning Member
s10blazed is on a distinguished road

I'm in a slightly similar situation. One of the bolts on the UPPER REAR shock is just spinning. I assume the clip on the back side broke off. What would everyone recommend to get the bolt out? It's a 98 2 door. It was dark so I couldn't really look around too well. I hope it doesn't involve pulling the gas tank. I just filled it up the other day. Can the top of the shock mount be accessed through the wheel well?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

For the broken front shock bolt, do you have a sawzall you should be able to cut it with a decent metal blade. For the other one with the upper shock issue you may be able to just keep pressure on it by pulling the shock down while removing the bolt,you should start a new thread by the way.