Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Complete front end bushing replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Beginning Member
Redtortoise38 is on a distinguished road
Default Complete front end bushing replacement.

Just have a quick question. I am thinking about replacing all of the old bushings in my 01', with polyurethane ones. What are the most essential ones to replace, to tighten my steering back up? Thanks.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If the only reason you are changing out bushings is for loose steering I'd take a look at the steering components first. IIRC, the only bushings on the front end are on the upper/lower control arms and the anti-sway bar. Loose steering is much more affected by bad tie rods, idler/pitman arms, rag joint, and the steering box itself.

The anti-sway bushing are easy to replace. The control arms aren't, particularly the lower ones if you have 4X4. For the control arm bushings to be causing loose steering, I have to wonder how you could even drive down the road and stay between the ditches.

Last edited by AJBert; 06-06-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Beginning Member

O.K. So where should I start? There is definitely some play in the steering. What would be your own personal "first step" in fixing the problem?

Old 06-07-2015, 08:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My first step would be to observing all of the various joints in the steering while someone rotates the steering wheel side to side. Small movements are all that are necessary. You will be looking for play when the direction changes.

Here's a list of where to look and in what order I would look:
  1. Rag joint at the input side of the steering box
  2. Idler arm at both the center link mount as well as the pivot where it attaches to the frame (known weak point in the steering)
  3. Pitman arm at the output side of the steering box where it mounts to the center link
  4. Tie Rod ends both at the center link and at the steering knuckle (4 total)

Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member

Good info. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2015, 04:32 AM
Beginning Member
Radio Doc is on a distinguished road

Well, it's been a few months, so I thought I would bump this thread to the top.

What's the ( pick one ) easiest cheapest best way to remove and replace
the upper and lower control arm rubber bushings ?

I have almost 200,000 on my 2000 4x4 and if I'm going in to replace the ball joints, I figure I might as well replace everything that can be replaced.... axles, hubs and all.

I've burned the bushings out on other cars, but is there a tool or a better way to replace the bushings without bending the control arms ?

It looks more expensive, and they use "unknown" bushings, and "unknown" ball joints, ( zerk fittings ?? ) but a complete lower and upper control arm replacement might be the QUICKEST way to change everything out over a weekend.

I have a shop press, but I don't see that it could help unless I had a couple of helpers holding everything in place.

Does AZ or AA or OReillys have tools made for this specific issue ?

I appreciate your input !!!

The Old Doc

Old 09-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
esquire is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Radio Doc
Well, it's been a few months, so I thought I would bump this thread to the top.

What's the ( pick one ) easiest cheapest best way to remove and replace
the upper and lower control arm rubber bushings ?

I have almost 200,000 on my 2000 4x4 and if I'm going in to replace the ball joints, I figure I might as well replace everything that can be replaced.... axles, hubs and all.

I've burned the bushings out on other cars, but is there a tool or a better way to replace the bushings without bending the control arms ?

It looks more expensive, and they use "unknown" bushings, and "unknown" ball joints, ( zerk fittings ?? ) but a complete lower and upper control arm replacement might be the QUICKEST way to change everything out over a weekend.

I have a shop press, but I don't see that it could help unless I had a couple of helpers holding everything in place.

Does AZ or AA or OReillys have tools made for this specific issue ?

I appreciate your input !!!

The Old Doc
Personally I replace them completely with moog control arms both of which come from either AZ or O'reillys after which I keep the old ones as spares and just do moog bushings and set them aside