Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Concerned

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009 | 10:44 AM
Newbie88 is on a distinguished road
Question Concerned

I just recently changed the shocks on my Blazer and I could have sworn the squeaking I heard from the front end was the shocks, which were shot when we took them off. Took the truck for a test drive that annoying squeak is back to get me. I dont know what I am missing can someone point me in the right direction as to what is going on???

The squeak is all the time on the high way thru town, i think the only time it doesnt do it is when i turn the wheel. Now i will say this the squeak is lessor since i changed the shocks and the squeak seems to be coming from the front end of the vehicle

Last edited by Newbie88; 05-08-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: explainging squeak
Old 05-08-2009 | 10:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When does this squeak happen? Please be detailed in your description of the squeak and the conditions which cause it.

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:16 AM

The squeak is pretty much all the time, the only time it doesnt seem to do it is when i have the wheel turned?

Old 05-08-2009 | 11:43 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

is it affected by bumps? Does it sound like a "rubbery" squeak? Brake squeak? Metal to metal squeak? Only when moving? Speed affects it?

Old 05-08-2009 | 07:41 PM
Beginning Member
triathlonjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Normally this squeak is almost always the ball joints. Have they been changed in your truck?

Old 05-09-2009 | 12:56 AM

we havent checked the sway bar bushings nor the ball joints, i just wanted to know where in the world to start. The squeak is kinda high pitch its hard to explain i guess you could compare it to a rubbery squeak per say but it is more apparent over bumps and the slower speed i go the more noticeable it is i dont know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Old 05-09-2009 | 07:32 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

does this squeak happen when your hitting any kind of bump or is it constant, it could allso be your front wheel bearings

Old 05-09-2009 | 09:10 AM
Beginning Member
triathlonjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Grease the ball joints, if the squeak goes away for a few hours/days, you will know it is that.

Old 05-10-2009 | 12:49 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.s10forum.com/how_to_lube_your_front_end

Hit up all your grease nipples with some fresh grease, the picture is a 2wd but it is pretty much the same.

Check/replace all the front swaybar bushings, if they are looking pretty rotten replace, if they are still in good condition try tightening the sway bar end links they may have come loose. Hit up the center sway bar bushings with some lithium grease spray.

Also check the control arm bushings. Typically the uppers rot out or they may just need some lube. Take your wheel off and cover your brakes with a rag, spray the upper and lower control arm bushings with some lithium spray grease or something similar. If these bushings are rotted out they should be replaced.

Also check at the rear of your torsion bars(can't remember if you said it was 4x4 or not) for the torsion bar mounts and see if they are in good shape.

Post back with results.