Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

converting my 96 blazer to awd

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Cool converting my 96 blazer to awd

I have been thinking about swapping in a awd transfercase from a 97 bravada into my 96 blazer so far i have the awd transfer case,front shaft, p/side cv axle, computer, tccm"pside kick panel, and matching rear end i was just wondering if anyone out there has done this and if im forgetting anything here input would be great thanks ahead of time

Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The Borg Warner AWD transfer cases used prior to 98 had no real electronic controls and were a dedicated 30/70 F/R split.

I can look up the applicable wiring schematics for both vehicles so you can compare. I won't be able to do it until later today at the earliest...

You will need the passenger side extension axle and the extension tube (or a block off plate) from the donor front axle unless you just wanted to lock in the front axle engagement which would do the same thing without as much work.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Starting Member

AWD transfer cases used prior to 98 had no real electronic controls.....you got that right brother thats the best part, I have everything available from my 97 bravada that i should need. The wiring schematic would be great thanks for the input swart

Last edited by LowLife; 11-28-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the wiring (see attached) for the '96. After thinking about it a bit, I didn't think I would find any wiring schematics for the BW4472 transfer case, but I looked anyway.

Attached Thumbnails converting my 96 blazer to awd-96_nv233_wiring_sch.gif  
Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Starting Member

thanks for the schematic im sure that will come in handy, The only thing i didnt understand is what is the extension tube, I knew about the passenger axle, but not sure about the extension tube. If you get a chance let me know thanks again for the schematic.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Administrator

The CV shafts should be the same. The difference in the front axle is that the AWD axle does not have the disconnect in the passenger side extension axle and the extension tube does not have the provisions for mounting the engagement cable such as is present in the 4wd models.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Starting Member

oh i got ya, I think it was on a zr2 forum i was reading that the passenger cv axle was different for some reason or another.