Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

couple of questions?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough
Default couple of questions?!?

so i went out Saturday night for a quick burn up the trail. everything was good beside the fact that i almost go stuck being dumb. but i have some concerns, when i was airing back up, i felt the rims, all 4 of them where fairly warm. i wouldnt call it hot as i could keep my hand there for several seconds and not have to pull it off in fear, but definitely warm. is this normal? i was in 4 low most of the time doing about 15-20mph. the trail was pretty easy going except for some off shoots that i like to take when im out there.

the other thing,
i think that i blew out a front diff seal on the driver side. it looks like grease has been flung around under there, but not a whole bunch. is right where the half shaft meets the front diff. are they hard to change? expensive?

i prefer to do the work myself as i know several people that i can call on if i get stuck or need help.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Maybe just the brakes heating up?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM

i guess it could have been because the last bit of the trail is down hill, but to me it seemed like the brakes wouldnt add that much heat...

Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If you think about how heavy your blazer is (5000+ lbs) and how fast / often you were slowing down, that's quite a lot of energy to dissipate, and brakes turn 100% of that energy into heat.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thogert
If you think about how heavy your blazer is (5000+ lbs) and how fast / often you were slowing down, that's quite a lot of energy to dissipate, and brakes turn 100% of that energy into heat.
Your Blazer needs a diet!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 PM

lol... i havent weighed it in a little while. she doesnt like the scale like most girls.

i suppose it was some of the hard braking. i was just thinking it seemed a little warm-er than i would have expected. i was thinking maybe hubs were getting old or something....i dont know. that wouldnt explain the rear end though either because i know that it has plenty of oil...
must be the hard braking, and going down hill. thanks guys, just wanted to make sure that i wasnt going to run into a problem that i wasnt aware of and spend money that i wouldnt have to!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah thats pretty much normal. cause your brakes are heating up and that heat just radiates to the rim, especially offroading cause a lot of time you are covering the brakes.

those seals arent to bad. somtimes getting that flange out of the axle can be a pain

Old 08-13-2013, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

on the front diff,you said "grease"..So is the cv axle leaking? If so pop the upper balljoint loose,remove the 36mm nut and nuts around the housing and puller out.

(i dont remember if 2nd gen has nuts bolting the cv joint on,or if it pops in and out)

Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 AM

mine is leaking right off the front diff, not outside by the wheel and tire where the hub is. right where it comes out of the front diff where the first rubber boot is, thats where its leaking. i will try and get a picture later today when i get home.