Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

creaking on stops and starts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default creaking on stops and starts

Something is creaking under my hood. When I bounce the driver side it sounds like it is coming from the pass side, and vice versa. Come to a stop, creak. Take off, again, creeak. Drive along a city street, creak.

The shocks seem to bounce okay. I have been advised the UCA bushings are shot. I WD-40 sprayed the swaybar bushings, to no avail. Now, I do have a knocka knocka knocka on the passenger side that may be related to an unfortunate dis-alignment meeting that one of my front wheels had with a curb. Or an engine mount? ball joint?

Thoughts on the creaking??

Old 08-23-2018, 04:59 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

I would say check all the control arm bushings. Have you checked the ball joints for play?

Old 11-26-2018, 06:15 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I would say check all the control arm bushings. Have you checked the ball joints for play?
That was it. The shop would not give me an alignment because of the CAs so I replaced them. After, I did not notice the non-creaking noise.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

When I had a bad upper ball joint, I would hear a light "clunk" whenever I'd go over the lip of my driveway. The ball joint had vertical travel.

Sounds like you got it figured out!

Old 11-27-2018, 06:37 AM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

You said you looked at the sway bar bushings; what about they end links? They're prone to the rubber isolators in them rotting out and splitting and causing all sorts of noises.

Replace them if the isolators on them are split, falling out, or have already fallen out. I've also seen factory ones rust out to the point of complete failure and jut fall off :P