Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front differential help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:24 PM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default Front differential help

So I made an attempt to change my front diff. All but one bolt was cooperative. The one I had an issue with was the top front bolt. Goes through the bracket, through the diff housing and into the frame. It's got one nut on the inside of the frame that I couldn't get to so I had to put everything back together.

Is there a special tool for that or is the 18mm wrench I got from AutoZone enough? It fits in the hole on the frame.

97 Bravada, 3.73

Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

When I replaced my front diff on my Blazer I removed the upper control arm to access the bolt through the frame. If you do this be sure to mark the positions of the eccentric washers on the UCA. These are used for aligning your wheels.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Starting Member

I looked at that as a possibility too. I'm considering getting an 18mm offset wrench, which should fit in the hole on the frame without having to remove the control arm. But disconnecting it would also make it a bit easier to remove the CV axle.

I guess I've got options

Old 10-20-2018, 05:32 AM
Starting Member

Looks like I'll be removing the uca to get at it. Need to get a ball joint separator anyway. Harbor freight has one that's not too expensive.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Starting Member

Didn't want to clutter things up with a new thread.

Made another, better attempt. Disconnected both upper ball joints, both outer tie rod ends and the drivers side inner. Both CV axles disconnected. Cut the rear bracket off. Disconnected front driveshaft. Took out all bolts, even the one in the frame. Moved the drag link out of the way. I could not get it to come out. It was very frustrating. Is there anything else I missing?

Also, what's up with that black bracket on the side of the diff housing? Would that hang up on anything?

Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I didn't remove the steering center-link, but I did flatten the factory steering stabilizer brackets. I believe some people loosen the bolts of the steering box in order to move it slightly forward to get a bit more room to slide the diff past the center-link. I can't remember for sure, but I may have removed the axle tube that goes between the diff and the right CV.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Starting Member

What about the black bracket? It's the one on the oil pan side of the diff housing.

In my attempt, I used a cutter to flatten out a spot on the center link so the upper diff mount could get past it. I got it below the link. Maybe the tube was hanging up on something. I've read about people removing that. Since I've got the replacement, I don't need worry about anything falling out.

I'm gonna pay a mechanic buddy and bring some beer to help me get it done. Said he'll do it for $120. Price being that low partially because I'll be helping

Old 11-22-2018, 07:02 PM
Starting Member

With everything including the axle tube removed, along with the rear bracket cut off, it should just fall out, shouldn't it?

Old 11-27-2018, 05:15 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it should. Any luck?

My center link was in the way of my diff to come out, but I have a blazer with a three button, not sure if it's different then the bravada smart trac. I seen a video of a guy having to remove his LCA to remove his. Not sure why theres differences... thought they were about the same size with the CV axles removed.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:14 AM
Starting Member

Going to try with the mechanic soon. Better to have an extra set of experienced hands on it.