Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Did I make a mistake- Posi-Lok

Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Did I make a mistake- Posi-Lok

Hey everyone. On Thursday when I went fishing, I locked the front axle so if I got stuck, I can just put it in 4HI and free the truck (This truck has to be rolling at slow speed to lock it in. Difficult to do when stuck). But I didn't have to put it into 4HI. But then when I drove 80 miles back to my apartment, I FORGOT TO UNLOCK THE AXLE! I didn't notice this until after I got back. I drove 80 miles with the axle locked and the transfer case in 2HI. I had no signs that it was still locked like noises or anything like that. I was driving fast also because I was on the highways. Could I have messed up my front axle? It was fully engaged (I can tell by the way it pulls and the fact that I can put my thumb on the metal part and not have it touch the black plastic parts). This weekend I needed it again and when I tried to engage it it was making noise when the handle was half engaged as I was pulling it to lock (which it sometimes does if I try to move the car if it isn't fully engaged), but I got it locked in properly and it disengaged normally as well.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:37 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

No it wont mess up your front axle but it will drop your gas mileage

Old 04-15-2012, 01:49 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
No it wont mess up your front axle but it will drop your gas mileage
Funny you should mention that. I was getting 19.3, which is among the highest MPG numbers I have ever had with the axle locked. Very weird.