Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Do I have the High Rider Option ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Beginning Member
dpannazzo is on a distinguished road
Default Do I have the High Rider Option ???

Hello All,

I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer (S10) with 4 wheel drive, 4.3 Vortec.

My driver side lower control arm broke and I am replacing it along with the CV shaft since it all scrapped along the road while being towed.

The problem I am having is in ordering the correct control arm and shaft. At first I thought the ZR2 / High rider option was one package from the it was listed on any parts website. Then I found that it's either 2 separate packages and or the same package but named differently depending on whether you have a Jimmy or Blazer.

There are no markings, stamps, decals, codes listed on the stickers, flares, etc. as some have mentioned to indicate if it has the ZR2 or High Rider option.

Does having Torsion bars make it the High Ride option since they can adjust the ride height? Could it be that simple?

When looking at the control arm online at "RockAuto" the picture of the my control arm is listed as with the "High Ride option." Should I just go with everything listed for High Ride option?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The Highrider package was another name for the ZR2 RPO options. I don't remember the years it was used, but there are no differences between a Highrider and a ZR2.

As for the torson bars, all 4x4 blazers used torsion bars, so you can't use that to identify your Blazer.

The absolute best way to identify a ZR2 Blazer is to check the RPO's in the glove box. In the list of codes there if you have a ZR2 or Highrider then you'll find ZR2 among the RPO's there. For what it's worth, in the RPO description of the 2001 ZR2 Blazer that I sold it says:
ZR2 "HIGH WIDER" PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, 4X4 SPORT HIGH WIDER PKG (ZR2)

Old 06-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for reply.
Originally I had checked the sticker in the glove box, over and over, and no where is ZR2 listed.

When I ordered the new lower control arm from Rock Auto (non ZR2) the one I received was different from what was on my Blazer. When I looked at the pictures on Rock Auto website the lower control on my Blazer matches the picture shown for the ZR2.

Are ZR2 and High Ride or wide as I see listed sometimes one package or 2 different?

I' d like to learn as well as get the right part.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

The ZR2 / Highride package should just be one package. It didn't come in something like lvl1, and lvl2 if that is what you're asking.

Here's a quick question, is your blazer a 2 door? and does it have factory fender flares? If it is/has both of those, it's probably a ZR2. I personally haven't seen if some ZR2s came without the fender flares though. If it's a 4 door, you defenitly do not have the ZR2 package.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member

Again, Thank you for replying.

In the neighborhood most 2 door Blazers I see do say ZR 2 on them.

That is what ifs causing part of the confusion.

My Blazer is a 4 door, does not have Flares and does not indicate ZR 2 anywhere. However, the lower control arm on my 4 door matchs the one sold for Blazers with the ZR2.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

All ZR2's came with flares.

If you have flares, then check the door sticker, if the tire size is listed as 31x10.5R15 then you have a ZR2/Highrider/Wide Stance.

Or post up a picture, that'll help too.

edit: just saw the last post, then no you don't have a ZR2. someone probably replaced the control arm with one from a ZR2 and made it work. I think it's just the sway bar mount is in a different location is the only difference/.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member

Problem Solved.

I had assumed that all Blazers were 4 wheel drive.

Upon actually reading the Haynes book it bought I learned some came in 2 wheel drive and had springs NOT Torsion bars which explained why the control arm I ordered had the design to mount a spring and no where for the Torsion bar.

When I double checked Rock Auto's site the arm I ordered said RWD. I thought "Yeah, it's RWD unless I hit the button for 4 wheel." Not that it was ONLY RWD.

So No, I do not have the ZR2 High Ride / Wide option as all of you correctly stated.

I DO have the 4 wheel drive not RWD only model. Apparently I did not scroll down enough on the parts page to see the correct arm for a 4 wheel drive Non ZR2 model.

Last edited by dpannazzo; 06-28-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:38 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Glad you got it figured out.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Beginning Member

Once again I learn reading is fundamental, LOL